What do Weight Watchers and Jack La Lanne Have in Common? They both offer timeless guidance for healthy living and weight loss success.
Jack La Lanne’s Timeless Weight Loss & Exercise Philosophy
My brother recently came across the following quote from Jack La Lanne and sent it to me.
‘There are more gyms now than ever, and all kinds of crackpot diets, too,’ he says. ‘It seems like they’re all out to make money. This stuff is so simple. Like I’ve always said, exercise is king, diet is queen, put them together and you’ve got a kingdom. And, if you want to lose weight, you have to count calories. You’ve got to take in less than 2,000 calories a day or you will never lose weight. These are not new discoveries. And you have to exercise. Not necessarily to the extent that I have. Twenty to thirty minutes three or four times a week is fine when combined with a sensible diet. But work and live vigorously.’ ~ Jack La Lanne
Definitely, a sound philosophy that has served him well for more than fifty years: Moderate exercise, sensible diet and a vigorous life. It sounds simple enough. And similar to what Weight Watchers preaches.
Well, if it’s good enough for Jack, it’s good enough for this Weight Watcher!
I remember reading an interview with La Lanne years ago in which he admitted to not liking exercise. I was shocked assuming that he was a natural born gym rat. He said he hated exercise but loved what it did for him so he made the conscious decision to just do it. This was a light bulb moment for me. I realized that there are lots of things we do every day, not because we love them, but because they are good for us: Brushing our teeth. Showering. Taking our vitamins and/or medications.
My exercise approach, while much less intense than Jack’s, is just as effective. I finally discovered that I didn’t have to kill myself to be fit. I simply found two things I love to do: yoga and walking and make sure I do them often. More than the 20 to 30 minutes three or four times a week that he suggests.
Some days I would rather not walk, but that really it isn’t an option when you live in a condo with a golden retriever. And when not in the yoga mood, I tell myself I only need to practice for fifteen minutes. If that seems like too much I tell myself to just get on the mat. Once on my mat moving and stretching I start to feel better and usually end up sticking with it for thirty minutes or more.
Try it. I think you’ll be as amazed too. Just find an activity you enjoy and do it for twenty to thirty minutes three or four days a week. Then follow a sensible eating plan and you too can be the master of your kingdom just like Jack. It’s definitely something I aspire to!
Top 10 Jack La Lanne Quotes for Weight Watchers
1) “It’s a lifestyle, it’s something you do the rest of your life – How long are you going to keep breathing? How long do you keep eating? You just do it.”
2) “Everything you do in life, I don’t care, good or bad – don’t blame God, don’t blame the devil, don’t blame me, blame you. You control everything! The thoughts you think, the words you utter, the foods you eat, the exercise you do. Everything is controlled by you.”
3) “How do you build up your bank account? By putting something in it everyday. Your health account is no different. What I do today, I am wearing tomorrow. If I put inferior foods in my body today, I’m going to be inferior tomorrow, it’s that simple.”
4) “The only way you get that fat off is to eat less and exercise more.”
5) “There are so many health food nuts out there that eat nothing but natural foods but they don’t exercise and they look terrible.”
6) “We know today about nutrition and we know about exercise. There’s no reason for anybody to be sick and tired, fat and out of shape — it’s ridiculous! This has got to be taught in the schools. It’s got to be taught in kindergarten. That’s when kids should first get the idea that the most important thing in your life is your health and your body.”
7) “Virtually everything we do in life is a matter of habit. Habits make us who we are. Why not change your habits to better your life?”
8) “You need to make good health a hobby.”
9) “Physical fitness takes commitment to exercise just as it requires good nutrition. But it doesn’t have to be painful. Just the opposite: Vigorous exercise actually is stimulating. It boosts your energy levels, invigorates your mind, and just feels good afterward. The hardest part, of course, is getting started.”
10) “Go on, have a glass of wine with dinner. What is wine, anyway? Pure grapes. A glass of wine is much better for you than a Coke.”
Favorite Jack La Lanne Videos
1) Jack La Lanne Shares His Approach to Meal Planning
2) Lack La Lanne Encourages Sugarholics to Consume Less
3) Jack La Lanne Shares His Views on Happiness
4) Jack La Lanne Shares His Views on Worry
5) Jack La Lanne Shares His Views on the Body and Mind Connection
6) Jack La Lanne at 80 on Dateline
7) Jack La lanne’s Wife, Elaine, Continues Living A Healthy Inspired Life at 90
“The Godfather of Fitness” Jack La Lanne at 95
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!