WW Recipe of the Day: Healthy Baked Whole Wheat Donuts
Healthy, homemade whole wheat donuts are a breeze to make and can be fresh from the oven on the table and ready-to-eat in just 35 minutes.
We all have the right to enjoy a simple, guilt-free sweet treat that's made from scratch!
A couple of nights ago I expressed the desire to find a recipe for healthy baked whole wheat donuts. It arrived in the paper Wednesday morning!
This recipe for baked whole wheat donuts is adapted from the Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Baking: 400 Healthy and Delicious Recipes for Muffins, Breads, Cookies, and More cookbook.
To bake them, you'll need to pick up a donut baking pan , which is a worthwhile investment for donut lovers looking to get healthier and bake their own donuts at home!
How Many Calories and WW Points in Whole Wheat Baked Donuts?
I cut the original recipe in half, which is why the amounts look a little funny. I didn't think having twelve donuts in the house was a smart idea, healthy or not!
This recipe will provide you with 6 large donuts, each with 178 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
These donuts can be eaten as is, sprinkled with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar, or decorated with your favorite icing and chopped nuts and/or candy sprinkles. Enjoy!
If you've made these Low Fat Whole Wheat Doughnuts, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Healthy Baked Whole Wheat Donuts Recipe
- 1 cup (plus 2 tablespoons) whole-wheat pastry flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup (plus 1 tablespoon) unsweetened applesauce
- ⅓ cup (plus 1 tablespoon) low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1-½ teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Generously coat a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and set aside.
- In another large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together the sugar, applesauce, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla until frothy.
- Create a well in the center of the four mixture and pour in the wet mixture. Using a spoon mix until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Use a pastry bag, or large plastic bag, to pipe the mixture into the donut pan. Alternatively, spoon the batter into the molds, but the finished donuts may not appear as even.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when pressed gently around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Run a knife around the inside of the molds to release the donuts. Invert the donuts on the rack and cool completely, or enjoy warm.
Source: adapted from the Hodgson Mill Whole Grain Baking: 400 Healthy and Delicious Recipes for Muffins, Breads, Cookies, and More cookbook.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Healthy Recipes for Homemade Donuts:
- Apple Crisp Donuts with Caramel Drizzle (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Apple Cinnamon Doughnuts (Simple-Nourished-Living)
- Pumpkin Strudel Donuts (DrizzleMeSkinny)
- Chocolate Frosted Donuts (EmilyBites)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!