WW Recipe of the Day: Guiltless 2-Ingredient 7-Up Cupcakes
(80 calories | 4 4 4 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I’m a cupcake person. I love the little portions of deliciousness and I enjoy the anticipation of taking off the wrappers and that first bite of cake and icing.
Maybe it’s because I grew up with Hostess Creme-filled Cupcakes. I became an expert at pulling off the chocolate squiggle, eating around the creme and then getting that mouthful of cream. It taught me what I needed to know about cupcakes. They have to be delicious and fun.
Now decades later, I searched and searched for a guilt-free version of this delightful treat. Who knew that the tried and true Betty Crocker and her soda pop cupcakes would come through with flying colors.
By using one of her many cake mixes and substituting diet soda for the oil and egg, you get an incredibly delicious and fun alternative to the old-fashioned cake. I was shocked, happy and excited when we first tried this for a birthday celebration a few weeks ago. Now I’m sold!
How Many Calories and WW Points in these 2-Ingredient Soda Cupcakes?
According to my calculations, each plain cupcake (without icing) has 80 calories and:
4 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
4 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
The addition of my optional icing will add about 5 calories per cupcake.
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make 2-Ingredient Cupcakes
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Heat the oven to 350F degrees. Line a cupcake or muffin tin with paper liners.
Step 3: In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and soda.
Ladle or spoon into the prepared pan.
Step 4: Bake for 14 to 19 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Step 5: Remove to a wire rack and cool.
Step 6: For the optional icing: Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl . When cupcakes are cool, lightly “butter” or spread each one with icing. (Alternatively use your favorite prepared icing – be sure to adjust the WW points accordingly.)
Step 7: Decorate with sprinkles, fruit, ground nuts or just serve plain.
Skinny 2-Ingredient Cupcake Recipe Notes
I used a yellow cake mix to make this version of skinny soda pop cupcakes. White or lemon would also work well with the lemon/lime flavors of diet 7up.
Feel free to add 2 teaspoons of lemon zest, orange zest or substitute 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract for the vanilla.
Other cake mix soda & soda combinations I want to try include:
- chocolate cake mix and diet coke
- spice cake mix and diet ginger ale
- chocolate cake mix and diet cherry coke
- cherry chip cake mix and diet cherry 7up
A good strong cup of coffee, or tea, is what I like with my cupcakes. However a glass of milk or a flute of champagne would be a lovely alternative.
How to Store Leftover Cupcakes
You’ll have plenty of cupcakes to store in a covered container for up to 2 days at room temperature. These also freeze beautifully. If you make and want to freeze these cupcakes, a good tip is to freeze them in a single layer first.
Once solidly frozen, you can place the cupcakes in plastic bags or layer them in a tupperware. This way you’ll avoid any cakes sticking together. Simply thaw and eat.
If you’ve made this 7-Up Cupcakes, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Skinny 2-Ingredient 7-Up Cupcakes
- 1 Betty Crocker Super Moist Cake Mix (15.25 ounces)
- 1 can (12 ounces) Diet 7-Up
- 1/4 cup Swerve confectioner's sugar
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello liquer (or lemon juice)
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 350F degrees. Line cupcake or muffin tins with paper liners. (I was able to make 20 cupcakes.)
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix and soda. It will bubble up but then settle down as you continue to stir it. With a spoon, ladle or ice cream scoop divide the batter evenly among the cups.
- Bake for 14 to 19 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool the cupcakes in pan(s) for 10 minutes. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely, about 1 hour. Enjoy plain or top with optional icing.
- Mix together all the ingredients (confectioner's sugar, Limoncello, butter, milk and vanilla) in a small bowl.
- When cupcakes are cool, lightly "butter" or spread each one with icing. (Alternatively use your favorite prepared icing - be sure to adjust the WW points accordingly.) Decorate with sprinkles, fruit, ground nuts or just serve plain.
Source: adapted from Betty Crocker
Here’s a video verifying how easy these cupcakes are to make and tasty to eat:
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Skinny Cake Mix Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Easy 2-Ingredient Pineapple Cake
- Skinny Sugar Free Cake Mix Cookies
- Skinny Chocolate Coconut Cake Mix Cookie Bars
- WW 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Mix Muffins
- 321 Microwave Mug Cake
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!