Do you ever find your weight loss efforts floundering?
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.
I became a Weight Watchers Lifetime Member 20 Years Ago and have been working since that time keep the weight off, sometimes successfully and sometimes less-than successfully.
Let’s face it: losing weight and keeping it off takes dedication, work, motivation and commitment.
Anyone who tells you differently is lying.
Whenever you feel like you’re struggling and in need of ways to keep moving forward, sometimes all you need to do is re-focus and get back to the basics.
Here Are 10 Tried-and-True Ways To Kick-Start Your Weight Loss
1. Get Moving. Get up off the couch or step away from the computer and go for a walk. Get outside in the fresh air. Do a little yard work. Take the dog for a stroll. Play catch with a child. Studies show that lean folks, on average, spend 2.5 hours less time sitting a day than obese folks which equates to burning 350 more calories a day.
2. Downsize your dishes. This has been a fun easy way for me to be satisfied with less. I take a little razzing from my friends and family about my “little girl” bowls and plates but I don’t care. Using smaller plates makes my servings appear bigger so I’m more satisfied with less. Try it.
3. Brush your teeth after eating. Need a way to let your mind and body know that it’s time to stop eating for a while? End every meal and snack with a quick brush of the teeth.
4. Be Prepared. Keep healthy snacks readily available so you’re never tempted to hit the vending machine or grab whatever is handy. For me this means keeping a little tin of nuts and 3 PointsPlus value snack bar in the purse at the ready.
5. Hydrate. Sometimes when you feel you’re hungry you’re really thirsty. Water is a great thirst quencher, that can be a satisfying treat when jazzed up with fruit slices and/or a packet of your favorite low-calorie flavor mix.
6. Spice it up. Herbs and spices can perk up your food without adding fat or calories so stock up your spice rack and consider growing a few pots of herbs on your windowsill.
7. Veg Out. We tend to eat a certain volume of food each day, not a set amount of calories, so fill up on foods that give you the most satisfaction for the the fewest calories: vegetables and fruits.
8. Pay Attention. We often eat on the run or while doing other things which can lead to overeating without even realizing it. Commit to eating only when you are seated (not in a car) and without distraction. Slow down and pay attention and notice how much less it takes to feel satisfied!
9. Brown Bag It. Or invest in a pretty insulated lunch bag. Bringing your lunch to work keeps you in charge of what and how much you are eating, making it easier to control your portions and make healthier choices. It’s a lot less expensive than eating out too.
10. End with Fresh Fruit. Try fresh fruit as a sweet and satisfying dessert, blueberries with a little nonfat yogurt and/or sorbet for example. Or raspberries with a drizzle of chocolate sauce.
When you are is a weight loss slump, what strategies do you use to give yourself the kick-start you need?
If you liked 10 Ways to Kick-Start Your Weight Loss:
- 6-Week Mindless Eating Challenge
- 10 Easy Weight Loss Tips for People who are Done with Diets
- French Weight Loss Secrets
- 7 Ways Yoga Helps with Weight Loss
- Creating an Environment That Supports Healthy Weight Loss
- Why Exercise Alone is a Terrible Weight Loss Strategy
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!