These apple pecan muffins from Ellie Krieger are a winner.
With a 5 star rating on the The Food Network how could they miss?
Moist and delicious, you’d never guess they were healthy.
I first made them years ago when I came across the recipe in Ellie’s first cookbook, The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
Skinny on Apple Pecan Muffins
This apple pecan muffin recipe is full of chunks of apple and topped with a delicious crunchy mixture of pecans, cinnamon and sugar.
The only change I made was adding 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon to the muffin batter. And I used a Granny Smith apple instead of yellow delicious, since it’s what I had in the fridge.
It’s a delightful way to begin your day, with a cup of Greek yogurt or hard boiled egg.
According to my calculations each muffin has just 213 calories and *6 Points Plus.
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work too)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- Position an oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Coat a standard (2-12-inch) 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk in a large bowl until well combined. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture just until combined. Gently stir in apple chunks.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. (I like to use an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop ) Sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 15-20 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely or enjoy while still warm.
Source: slightly adapted from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
*PointsPlus® for apple pecan muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.