(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 68)
Green beans were on sale, buy-one-get-one-free, the day I shopped for the ingredients to make my Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole.
So, naturally, I grabbed two bags when I only needed one.
What is it about FREE stuff that makes it so alluring?
After my success making green bean casserole in the slow cooker, I decided to try again with creole style slow cooker green beans.
I adpated the recipe for these creole style slow cooker green beans from Fix-It and Forget-It Big Cookbook: 1400 Best Slow Cooker Recipes! by Phyllis Pellman Good.
As soon as I saw the recipe, I thought back to my original Weight Watchers days back in the early 1990s, when canned green beans topped with salsa (which I could eat for FREE) became a mainstay of my diet.
To make the recipe lighter, healthier and more WW friendly, I used 2 teaspoons of olive oil instead of 1/4 cup butter and decreased the brown sugar to 1 tablespoon.
The green beans turned out full of flavor and even managed to retain some crunch.
Both Rod and I gave them an enthusiastic thumbs up.
Close-but-not-quite FREE, each half cup serving has 54 calories and 1 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. I say eat these yummy creole style green beans to your heart’s content! We don’t end up in Weight Watchers because we ate too many green beans
If you skip the brown sugar, these creole style slow cooker green beans will work for Simply Filling.
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch lengths (about 4 cups)
- ¾ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt, optional (I like Jane’s Crazy Mixed UP salt)
- I used my 2-Quart crock pot.
- Coat your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the green beans, onion, salsa, brown sugar, olive oil and garlic salt in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW 3 to 4 hours, or longer, until the green beans reach desired tenderness. (This is a good way to prepare green beans if you like them a little crunchy.)
If you liked creole style slow cooker green beans you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker green beans calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.