(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 52)
This creamy delicious slow cooker squash apple soup is perfect for fall.
And would be a beautiful start to Thanksgiving dinner.
Brimming with squash and apples, it’s not only good, it’s good for you too.
Creamy and satisfying, it’s hard to believe there’s no cream in this slow cooker squash apple soup.
A little bit of yogurt adds richness without fat and also brightens the sweetness of the squash.
There are lots of sweet spice options that would work well with this soup: ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, curry powder and even a chai tea bag. But I decided to go in a more savory direction, opting for sage and thyme.
The most difficult part of this slow cooker squash apple soup recipe is peeling and cutting the butternut squash. If you are not sure what to do, here is a great tutorial for How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash from Elise at Simply Recipes. I’ve also included a video at the end of the post.
Each generous 1-1/2 cup serving of this creamy and delicious slow cooker apple squash apple soup has 164 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 1 butternut squash (about 3 pounds), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ cup plain non fat yogurt
- ½ cup shredded swiss cheese, optional
- Chives, optional
- In a slow cooker, stir together the squash, apples, onion, broth, apple juice, sage, thyme, salt and pepper. (I used my 4-Quart.)
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until squash is tender.
- Carefully, puree small batches of the soup in your blender, until smooth. Be sure to fill the blender not more than two-thirds full and hold the cover of your blender in place with a folded dish towel to prevent it from exploding and burning you with hot soup! Pulse quickly a few times before blending continuously.
- Return the pureed soup to your slow cooker.
- Stir in the maple syrup and yogurt.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and top each with a heaping tablespoon of the shredded cheddar cheese or chives.
Other spices that would work in this creamy slow cooker squash apple soup: ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg, ¼ -1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1-2 teaspoons ginger, 1-2 teaspoons curry powder, a chai tea bag
Source: adapted from 300 Slow Cooker Favorites by Donna Marie Pye
How to Peel and Cut a Butternut Squash:
If you liked slow cooker squash apple soup you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for squash apple soup calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.