(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking, Day #6)
Check out this slow cooker apple cake!
It’s my first attempt at baking in the slow cooker.
I’m really impressed with the results.
This slow cooker apple cake baked up moist, dense and delicious. Chock full of chunks of apples, it’s a perfect dessert for fall.
Every October, I find myself craving a piece of the fresh apple cake my mom made when I was a kid. So, it’s become a tradition to bake it or something similar. For the past two years, I’ve made this healthy harvest apple cake, which is much lighter and healthier than Mom’s original.
So, I was excited to see this slow cooker apple cake recipe, in my latest cookbook find, Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes! by Phyllis Good.
I loved the notes included with this slow cooker apple cake recipe. If they hadn’t have been there I would have panicked too. “When I first made this cake I was sure I should have used more flour, sugar and eggs. But I decided to see if the apples were juicy enough to hold things together and wind up with a dense and delicious finish. And it worked!!”
It really is mostly chopped apples coated with what seems like too little cake batter. But go with it!
I made a few changes from the original recipe. I substituted 3 tablespoons canola oil for 1/4 cup melted butter. Decreased the sugar from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. And decreased the chopped nuts from 1/2 cup to 1/4 cup.
This slow cooker apple cake turned out better than I expected. It was sweet, but not too sweet, with a nice hint of cinnamon. Chock full of chopped apples, the texture was dense and moist.
According to my calculations, each slice has 235 calories and *6 PointsPlus
Mom and Rod both gave it their enthusiastic approval. I will definitely be making this slow cooker apple cake again.
- ¾ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chopped apples, peeled or not (2 to 3 apples. I used Pink Lady's)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts.
- Grease and flour a bread pan or baking dish that fits in your slow cooker. Place a trivet or metal mason jar rings in the bottom of your slow cooker to support the pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, oil, egg and vanilla until creamy and well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Stir the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until well combined. Stir in the apples and walnuts.
- (It will seem like too little batter for so many apples, but it's not.)
- Scrape the batter evenly into the prepared pan. Cover the pan with foil. Set into the cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker with the slow cooker lid. Bake on high for 2 to 3 hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Begin checking after the slow cooker apple cake has been cooking 2 hours. If it isn't done, cover and continue cooking for 15 to 30 more minutes and then check it again.
- When the cake is done, carefully lift the hot baking pan out of the hot cooker and set it on a wire rack to cool for at least 15 to 20 minutes before serving.
- Cut into 8 slices and serve.
Source: Adapted from Fix-It and Forget-It New Cookbook: 250 New Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes!
If you liked this recipe for Slow Cooker Apple Cake, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.