Does this sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta look challenge worthy to you?
I received a great package of pasta and olive oil from the folks at Delverde Pasta.
Along with an invitation to “Dish Your Blog with Delverde” for a chance to win a trip to NYC.
This is sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta is the recipe I submitted.
I think it’s delicious. But, I’m not sure it’s contest worthy.
Competitive cooking is not my strong suit. (I crumble under pressure. Just ask my high school tennis coach
Fortunately, I get great joy from cooking to nourish and comfort, not to impress.
And I’m having loads of fun with the generous gift, which included cuts of pasta you just don’t find in the typical grocery store: mezzi rigatoni, bucatini and spinach tagliatelle nests. Along with a bottle of lovely Lucini Premium Select Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
I decided to use the mezzi rigatoni in my sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta dish. And I tried to keep it simple to let the pasta really shine. I think I succeeded. Though, it was a little late by the time I finally snapped a photo.
I really loved this simple sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta. Rod did too. He took one bite and said, “What kind of pasta is this. It’s really good. What cut is this.”
I forget that he once was on the board of a pasta company here in Arizona and that he has toured pasta plants in Italy. He knows a thing or two about pasta. All pasta is not created equal. And his reaction confirmed this. The taste and texture of quality pasta is such a delight!
I hope you’ll give this sausage cherry tomato spinach pasta a try and let me know what you think.
According to my calculations, each generous 1-1/2 cup serving has 375 calories and *10 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
- 8 ounces pasta (I used Deleverde mezzi rigatoni)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 12 ounces chicken sausage with feta and spinach, removed from casings and crumbled
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, cut in half
- ½ cup low sodium chicken stock
- 6 ounces baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Cook pasta in well salted water according to the package instructions.
- While the water is coming to a boil and pasta is cooking, make the sauce:
- In a large skillet heat 2 teaspoons olive oil.
- Add the sausage, cook, breaking it up into small bits, until browned, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently for 1 minutes. Add tomatoes and broth and cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, until the tomatoes have softened. Remove lid and continue to cook, for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add spinach a handgul at a time till wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Drain pasta. Add drained pasta to the sausage mixture. Toss to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with feta cheese.
If you liked this sausage, cherry tomato spinach pasta, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Disclosure: This recipe is posted as an entry in the Delverde DISH YOUR BLOG recipe contest to try to win a trip to NYC. I received free sample products in addition to the opportunity to compete for the prize.