This skinny strawberry cake is one I made last year but never got around to posting. It’s a winner in my book.
Easy and delicious, I think I prefer it to traditional strawberry shortcake.
The Skinny on Skinny Strawberry Cake
I used cake mix to keep this skinny strawberry cake quick and easy. (If you prefer a cake made from scratch, this skinny buttermilk cake would work well.)
I used real whipped cream in this skinny strawberry cake too. Truwhip (natural whipped topping) is another alternative, but when I calculated the PointsPlus it came out the same using it as the whipped cream, so I opted for the real thing since I think it tastes better and I had some heavy cream in fridge ready and waiting.
By keeping the servings small you can enjoy a slice of this skinny strawberry cake for 193 calories and 5 PointsPlus. The more I focus on slowing down and really savoring my sweet indulgences, the more I realize a little serving of dessert is all my body really wants or needs.
- 9 ounces of white or vanilla cake mix (1/2 of an 18 ounce package)
- 1 egg white
- ½ cup water
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces plain non fat yogurt (1/2 of a 6 ounce container)
- ¼ cup strawberry all-fruit preserves, melted
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream (3/4 cup heavy cream whipped with 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar to make 1-1/2 cups) or natural whipped topping such as Truwhip
- 1 pint strawberries, washed, hulled and sliced
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch round baking pan with cooking spray, then dust it with flour.
- In a large bowl beat 9 ounces of cake mix (about ½ a package), the egg white, water, oil, vanilla and 3 yogurt with an electric mixer until well blended, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pan and bake until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cake from the pan and place it on the rack to cool completely.
- Split the cooled cake horizontally into 2 layers. (I use a thin serrated bread knife.) Place the bottom layer cut side up on a cake plate. Spread ½ the preserves over the bottom layer. Cover with half the whipped cream or whipped topping and half the strawberries.
- Top with the remaining layer, cut side down. Coat with the remaining preserves and whipped topping. Arrange the remaining strawberries over the top.
*PointsPlus® for skinny strawberry cake calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked skinny strawberry cake you might also like: