An easy, healthy, low fat pumpkin coffee cake with streusel topping that bakes up light and delicious.
I can’t seem to let go of my pumpkin infatuation this year and have been perusing my cookbooks for even more light and healthy ways to enjoy its flavors.
“Coffeecake” popped into my head recently which led me to cobble together this Weight Watchers friendly variation.
I would up combining aspects of recipes from 3 cookbooks. Libby’s Home-Baked Goodness. Perfect Light Desserts: Fabulous Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and More Made with Real Butter, Sugar, Flour, and Eggs, All Under 300 Calories Per Generous Serving by Nick Malgieri. And Have Your Cake and Eat it, Too by Susan Purdy.
Rod, who loves all things cake enjoyed a piece with ice cream for dessert last night, giving it his full approval.
I think it’s even better the next day when the crunchy Grapenuts in the streusel soften up a bit.
This low fat pumpkin streusel coffeecake would be a nice addition to a holiday breakfast or brunch.
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 or more teaspoons apple juice or milk if additional moisture is needed to achieve crumbly consistency
- 2 tablespoons Grapenuts (crunchy nugget cereal)
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- To make the streusel topping, in a small bowl combine the flour, brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, butter and canola oil with a fork or your fingers until the mixture is crumbly. (Add about a teaspoon of apple juice or milk if you need a little more moisture to achieve a crumbly consistency.) Stir in the Grapenuts and set aside.
- To make the cake, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda and salt until well combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, Whisk together the eggs, pumpkin, buttermilk, brown sugar, sugar, canola oil and vanilla until well blended. Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the streusel topping evenly over the top of the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 45 to 50 minutes. Remove from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for 15 minutes. Serve warm.
Libby’s Home-Baked Goodness
Perfect Light Desserts: Fabulous Cakes, Cookies, Pies, and More Made with Real Butter, Sugar, Flour, and Eggs, All Under 300 Calories Per Generous Serving
Have Your Cake and Eat it, Too
More Weight Watchers Friendly Pumpkin Recipes