I think this Weight Watchers Beef Spinach Lasagna Rolls recipe is a winner.
I love lasagna every once in a while.
But I have never really figured out how to make anything less than a huge pan of it.
Which is where these Beef Spinach Lasagna rolls come in.
So I was excited to come across this recipe for Beef Spinach Lasagna Rolls in the most recent cookbook to hit the shelves of Weight Watchers centers here in Arizona: I Love leftovers.
Ground beef, chopped mushrooms, garlic, spinach, ricotta cheese and basil are combined into a tasty stuffing that is spread on cooked lasagna noodles that are then rolled up like pinwheels, placed in a baking dish, topped with jarred marinara sauce and baked until hot and bubbly.
These beef spinach lasagna rolls are are delicious way to enjoy lasagna in perfectly portion-controlled way. Since the whole family loved them they’ve been added to my “Make Again” list the next time a lasagna craving strikes.
- 6 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound crimini mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 ounces fresh baby spinach
- ½ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 jar (15 – 16 ounces) fat-free marinara sauce
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions, then drain and rinse the noodles and drain them well again. (I used the Barefoot Contessa method: soaking them in really hot water until tender enough to roll, about 30 minutes.)
- Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat. Add the beef, mushrooms, and garlic. Cook, breaking up the beef and stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the baby spinach and cook, stirring constantly, until the spinach begins to wilt, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the beef mixture to a bowl and let it cool slightly then add the ricotta, basil, and 2 tablespoons of Parmesan and stir until well mixed.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees. Coat a 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spread ½ cup marinara sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place the cooked noodles on a flat surface, making sure they’re nice and dry. Spread the beef mixture evenly over the noodles. (There should be about ⅓ cup for each noodle.) Beginning with a short end, carefully roll each one up like a jelly-roll and place in the baking dish, seam side down.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce evenly over the lasagna rolls. Loose cover with foil and bake until hot and bubbly, about 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of Parmesan and serve.
- You can also prepare the rolls, cover and then place them in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months before baking. If frozen, thaw in the refrigerator overnight before baking.
If you liked this recipe for Weight Watchers Beef Spinach Lasagna Rolls, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.