This papaya ginger smoothie is a light, healthy and refreshing way to begin the day. And if it weren’t for my participation with a group of bloggers working its way through Power Foods: 150 Delicious Recipes with the 38 Healthiest Ingredients (by Martha Stewart and the editors of Whole Living Magazine) I never would have experienced it, since I can’t honestly say I like papaya.
But this exploration of power foods is about expanding our taste buds so I tried to go in with an open mind since papaya provides rich sources of antioxidant nutrients including carotenes, vitamin C, B vitamins, folate, potassium and magnesium. It’s also low in calories and high in fiber and other digestive enzymes that support digestion.
I decided to go with a simple smoothie since it’s always fun to power up my Vitamix and opted for the papaya-ginger smoothie featured in the book. I first made it as written and Rod and I both found the amount of ginger (1 tablespoons), lemon (juice of two) and mint (16 leaves) overpowering. So I made it again, decreasing the ginger to 1 teaspoon, lemon juice to 1 tablespoon and mint to 8 leaves. I also added a banana. We both liked this version better.
This papaya-ginger smooth is a healthy way to start the day. I’m still not a papaya fan, but this was pretty good, especially when you consider how good for you it is.
- 1 large papaya (about 1 pound), halved lengthwise, seeds removed and flesh scooped out of peel
- 1 frozen banana
- 6-7 ice cubes (about 1 cup)
- ⅔ cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 8 fresh mint leaves, plus more for garnish if desired
- Combine the papaya, banana, ice cubes, ginger, honey, lemon juice and fresh mint leaves in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Thin with water as necesary to achieve desired consistency.
- Pour into 2 glasses. Garnish with mint and serve.
Be sure to check out what these other participating bloggers have cooked up with papaya. (If you are interested in joining us, contact Mireya at My Healthy Eating Habits. We’d love to have you join us.)
- Alyce - More Time at the Table
- Ansh - Spice Roots
- Jeanette - Jeanette’s Healthy Living
- Mireya - My Healthy Eating Habits
- Sarah - Everything in the Kitchen Sink
- Chaya - My Sweet & Savory
- Minnie - The Lady 8 Home
More Weight Watcher’s Friendly Smoothie Recipes