Do you crave sweet baked pumpkin treats this time of year?
I certainly do.
But this year I’m concentrating on light and healthy baking, so I can indulge a bit more without packing on the holiday pounds.
I’m having fun baking healthy low-fat pumpkin muffins and pumpkin breads and there’s a freshly baked healthy low-fat pumpkin cake cooling on the counter.
I’m still trying to decide which healthy pumpkin pie recipe to try for Thanksgiving.
Do you have a favorite?
Experimenting with healthy pumpkin dessert recipes this season has been a lot of fun, but unfortunately, I’m going to run out of time, before I run out of recipes I want to try.
Here’s a great collection of healthy low-fat pumpkin cookie and pumpkin bar recipes gathered from around the web (I’ve even calculated all the PointsPlus values).
While most are for from-scratch pumpkin cookies, I’ve included a few quick and easy low-fat pumpkin cookie recipes that begin with a pouch of cookie mix or cake mix for those who want to enjoy homemade cookies but are short on time. Enjoy!
9/24/13 Update: These Pumpkin Quinoa Cookies are winners in my book! Using quinoa flour, pumpkin puree, and vegetable oil, these pumpkin quinoa cookies stir together in minutes, making them as easy to make as they are delicious to eat.
And these 2-Ingredient Chocolate Pumpkin Cookies couldn’t be easier. They are a quick and easy family favorite.
1. Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Spice Cookies – Wholesome soft pumpkin cookies with the flavors of molasses, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and nutmeg are made with canola oil instead of butter. They have 72 calories, 2 g fat, 13 g carbs and just 2 Weight Watcher’s PointsPlus Values. Found at Eating Well.
2. Easy Low Fat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies – A clever recipe that begins with a package of sugar cookie mix and substitutes the 1/2 cup of butter called for with 1/2 cup of pumpkin puree. Perfect for non-bakers and people who are short on time. 58 calories, 1 g fat, 12 g carbs and 2 WW Points+. Found at Julia’s Healthy Italian.
3. Low-Fat Pumpkin Spiced Chocolate Chip Cookies – Tasty low-fat cookies perfect for fall. Each cookie has 76 calories, 2 g fat, 13 g carbs and 2 WW Points+. Found at SkinnyTaste.
4. Pumpkin Spiced Oatmeal Pecan Cookies - Chewy, low-fat oatmeal cookies made with quick oats, pumpkin, and chopped pecans. These cookies are a little higher in fat and calories – mostly from the healthy pecans. Each cookie has 83 calories, 3 g fat, 13 g carbs and 2 WW PointsPlus Values. From Gina at SkinnyTaste.
5. Super Easy 2 Ingredient Low Fat Pumpkin Spice Cookies – Turn a box of spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin puree into tasty easy low fat cookies. Based on a batch of 24 cookies, each cookie has 98 calories, 3 g fat, 17 g carbs and 3 WW PointsPlus. You could make smaller cookies to save a few calories/points! Found at AllRecipes.
6. Vegan Healthy Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies – Low in calories and fat and chock full of wholesome ingredients. Just 100 calories, 1 g fat, 21 g carbs and 3 WW PointsPlus in each 3-cookie serving. Found at Green Lite Bites.
7. Healthy Low Fat Pumpkin Cranberry Breakfast Cookies – Perfect for a healthy grab-and-go breakfast or snack. Each cookie has 68 calories, <1 g fat, 14 g carbs and 2 WW Points Plus Values. Found at Food.com.
8. Whole Wheat Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cookies - One or two of these cookies, paired with a cup of milk or a yogurt drink, makes one great breakfast. Each cookie has 59 calories. 1.3 g fat, 11 g carbs and 2 WW Points+. Found at Enlightened Cooking.
9. Healthy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bars – Quick, easy, tasty, healthy and delicious pumpkin bars with 83 calories, 4 g fat, 12 carbs and 2 WW Points Plus Values. Found at Heart Healthy Online.
10. Chocolaty Pumpkin Bars – Pumpkin bars made over to be lighter and healthier and kid friendly. Each bar has 6 g fat, 16 g carbs, 3 WW Points+. Found at Meal Makeover Moms.
11. Lighter Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars – with reduced fat cream cheese. 9 g fat, 21 g carbs and 5 Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values per serving. Found at Taste of Home.
Bonus: Pumpkin Raisin Hermits – a great Weight Watchers cookie with just 3 PointsPlus Values found at Weight Watchers.
And here’s a video of how to make healthy low fat pumpkin cookies using ground oats, applesauce, canned pumpkin puree and truvia sweetener…
And a video from Vitalicious showing how to turn a package of their sugar-free banana muffin mix into quick and easy pumpkin cookies…