Looking for a simple dinner idea that’s as healthy as it is delicious?
Here’s a great recipe using turkey tenderloin and sweet potatoes that’s easy, tasty and healthy.
It’s a quick and easy one-dish supper that cooks in a skillet on top of the stove in about 30 minutes. (If you don’t have a large deep 10 or 12-inch skillet, I think a Dutch oven or large heavy pot would work just as well. You just want a cooking vessel large enough for the turkey and sweet potatoes to snuggle together in one layer on top of the stove.)
This quick & easy dinner reminds me of Thanksgiving only it’s a heck of a lot easier and whole lot healthier. It’s the kind of simple tasty recipe your whole family will love. Every time I make it it’s a big hit with mine.
It’s based on a recipe I found in the Betty Crocker’s Healthy New Choices Cookbook, that I modified to make more fresh & tasty. I replaced fresh sweet potatoes for canned, which tend to be too sweet and mushy for me, and went lighter on the butter and maple syrup to decrease the fat and calories a bit.
- 1 pound turkey breast tenderloin
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 – 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1-inch chunks
- Spray a 10-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray and set it over medium heat. Place the turkey tenderloin in the skillet and cook it until brown on one side, about 2-1/2 minutes. Turn it and brown the other side for about 2-1/2 minutes.
- While the turkey is cooking, place the cranberries, orange juice, maple syrup, margarine and cinnamon in a small saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Arrange sweet potatoes around the turkey in the skillet. Pour the orange juice mixture over the turkey and potatoes.
- Cover and turn the heat to low. Cook over low heat for about 15 minutes. Uncover and cook about 5 minutes longer or until sauce is slightly thickened, the sweet potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife and the juice of turkey is no longer pink when the center of thickest piece is cut.
You might also like…