These Rice Krispie date balls are delicious nut free no bake cookies with just 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus. The crispy rice cereal provides the crunch so there’s no need for nuts making them perfect for those who are allergic.
I mixed up a batch of these delicious simple no bake cookies as a holiday gift for my favorite hairstylist, replacing the eggs with 1/4 cup of margarine, to make them Vegan friendly.
Coconut date balls date back to my childhood when my best friend’s mom would make them every year for Christmas. She rolled her no bake cookies in coconut, but I opted to stir it in with the cereal since I was short on time. Either way, you are rewarded with delicious quick and easy no bake date cookies, that can satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing the calorie/PointsPlus bank
If you are a fan of nuts, you could always stir in 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, just adjust the PointsPlus value accordingly.
Rice Krispie Date Balls Recipe
Dates, coconut, and Rice Krispies combine in this recipe for nut free no bake cookies to create a treat that is a healthier variation of Rice Krispies treats. To bump up the nutrition you can use crisp brown rice cereal in place of Rice Krispies.
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup finely chopped pitted dates (don’t use already chopped dates)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- In a large cold skillet, combine the brown sugar, dates, and eggs. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly for about 10 minutes or until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cereal, and coconut until well combined.
- Let cool slightly, then when cool enough to handle, squeeze and roll the mixture into 1-inch balls. Place on a lined baking sheet and refrigerate until chilled. Chill at least 1 hour before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Makes about 3 dozen Rice Krispie Date Balls
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving (1 cookie ball): 57 calories, 1.3 g fat, 11.0 g carbs, 0.6 g fiber, 0.8 g protein and 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus value.
- Coconut Coated Rice Krispie Date Balls: Instead of stirring coconut into the mixture, place it in a shallow dish and roll the Rice Krispie date balls in the coconut to coat them.
- Vegan Rice Krispie Date Balls: Substitute the eggs with 1/4 cup margarine..
This recipe for Rice Krispie Date Balls is adapted from No-bake Cookies: More Than 150 Fun, Easy & Delicious Recipes for Cookies, Bars, And Other Cool Treats Made Without Baking by Camilla Saulsbury.