When the weather turns hot I love to start the day with a healthy smoothie.
Healthy smoothies are a simple way to get the day started in a cool refreshing way while providing a delicious source of healthy protein, fiber and phytonutrients.
There are gazillions of healthy smoothie recipes and healthy breakfast smoothie recipes to choose from, but in the name of keeping things simple (including smoothie making) all you really need is a basic smoothie recipe to use as a template from which you can create your own delicious variations till your heart’s content.
And while smoothies are a great quick and easy healthy breakfast solution, they also make a perfect light summer lunch or mid afternoon pick me up too.
I’ve been having a blast making all kinds of healthy smoothies since I got my Vitamix. (My sister has been telling me for years that it was awesome and I finally gave in and make the big investment. I’m so glad I did. I love making the creamiest smoothies and soups with it.)
Of course, you don’t need a Vitamix for making smoothies. Any strong blender will do!
Healthy Smoothie Basic Recipe
This is a basic healthy smoothie recipe template that you can modify in a variety of ways to make whatever kind of smoothie you prefer.
- 1 cup skim milk (or the nondairy milk of your choice. I’m partial to almond milk and coconut milk at the moment)
- 1 medium peeled frozen banana, broken into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened frozen fruit of your choice (blueberries, strawberries, pineapple, mango, peaches, raspberries, or any combination)
- 2 teaspoons honey, maple syrup or 2-3 drops stevia extract to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
Place all smoothie ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth. I like my smoothies thick, but if you prefer a thinner smoothie just add more liquid until your desired consistency is achieved.
Nutritional Estimates Per Serving: 151 calories, 0.3 g fat, 33 g carbs, 3 g fiber, 5.3 g protein and 4 WW PointsPlus Value
Optional Smoothie Additions:
- 1/4 cup plain instant oatmeal, grapenuts, or granola
- 1-2 scoops Whey Protein Powder
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter or almond butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of your favorite flavored extract (vanilla, almond, coconut, rum)
- Dash of your favorite spice (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cardamom)
- A couple tablespoons plain yogurt
Some of My Favorite Smoothie Variations
Mango Smoothie: Use frozen mango for the fruit.
Pineapple Orange Smoothie: Use frozen pineapple for the fruit and 1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange zest.
Pina Colada Smoothie: Use frozen pineapple and add 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract into milk.
Peach Raspberry: Use frozen raspberries and peaches for the fruit.
Blueberry: Use frozen blueberries for the fruit.
Peanut Butter Banana: Use an extra banana for the fruit and and 2 tablespoons peanut butter.
More Easy Healthy Breakfast Ideas
Healthy Muffins – chalk full of wholesome ingredients like oats, shredded carrots and chopped apples
8 Healthy Breakfast Cookie Recipes - an assortment of easy healthy breakfast cookies that are good for you
Healthy Breakfast Yogurt Parfaits – your favorite fruit, yogurt and something crunchy come together for a quick and easy heathy breakfast treat
Favorite Healthy Easy Breakfast – magical healthy yogurt breakfast cream
What are your favorite easy healthy recipes for breakfast?