WW Recipe of the Day: Banana Gingerbread
Today I'm sharing a recipe for Banana Gingerbread from the WW Homecoming Cookbook that caught my eye. As a big lover of both gingerbread and banana bread I was confident it wouldn't disappoint and it didn't.
Both ginger and molasses—two cornerstone ingredients of Caribbean cooking—make their way into this quick bread, providing both color and flavor. It’s a subtly sweet and spicy breakfast option that will go well with your morning coffee, or as a lovely afternoon treat with a cup of tea.
While called Banana Gingerbread, with a full cup of mashed bananas I think this loaf might be better named Ginger Banana Bread.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Low Fat Banana Gingerbread?
According to my calculations, each serving has 123 calories.
To see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site, Click here!
How to Make Quick Easy Banana Gingerbread
Step 1: Gather and prep your ingredients
Step 2: Prepare your loaf pan (affiliate link).
Step 3: Prepare the batter for your banana gingerbread
Step 4: Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan
Step 5: Bake until done and then let cool
Step 6: Slice and enjoy
No whole wheat flour? Use all-purpose flour instead. That's what I did.
No almond milk? Any milk—dairy or non-dairy—can be used instead
No fresh ginger? Just skip it. Add another teaspoon or two ground ginger if you want.
What's the Best Way to Store Fresh Ginger?
Tired of having to toss out shriveled fresh ginger, I discovered the best way to store it, in booze, years ago. Just peel it, cut into chunks, place in a small jar, cover it completely with alcohol, screw the top on the jar and store in the fridge. It will last indefinitely. I used vodka, but sake, dry sherry or rice wine would work well too.
Are You Ready To Firmly Plant Yourself
On The Path To Lasting Weight Loss Success?
If you've made this Healthy Banana Gingerbread, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
WW Banana Gingerbread
- nonstick cooking spray
- 2-½ cups whole wheat flour (I used all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1-½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas (I used 3 bananas)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened fat free almond milk (I used vanilla almond milk)
- ⅓ cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 heaping tablespoon grated peeled, fresh ginger
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Spray 9-by-5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Line the bottom of your pan with a long strip of parchment paper that hangs over short sides of the pan.
- In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, ground ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt until well combined.
- In large bowl, whisk together the mashed bananas, eggs, almond milk, sugar, molasses, and grated ginger.
- Add the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and gently fold until blended. Scrape the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake until your banana gingerbread is set and lightly golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 45 to 55 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Using the parchment paper overhang, lift bread from pan. Let cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
- No whole wheat flour? Use all-purpose flour instead. That's what I did.
- No almond milk? Any milk—dairy or non-dairy—can be used instead.
- No fresh ginger? Just skip it. Add another teaspoon or two ground ginger if you want.
Recipe source: WW Homecoming Cookbook
*Points® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this WW Friendly Ginger Banana Bread, you might also like:
- Simple Low Fat Banana Bread
- Banana Bread Brownies
- Low Fat Applesauce Banana Bread
- Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- WW Cranberry Ginger Oatmeal Cookies
- Microwave Gingerbread Mug
Martha is the founder and main content writer for Simple-Nourished-Living.
A longtime lifetime WW at goal, she is committed to balancing her love of food and desire to stay slim while savoring life and helping others do the same.
She is the author of the Smart Start 28-Day Weight Loss Challenge.
A huge fan of the slow cooker and confessed cookbook addict, when she's not experimenting in the kitchen, you're likely to find Martha on her yoga mat.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!
Leave a Reply