WW Recipe of the Day: Spicy Chicken and Quinoa Soup Mug
(303 calories | 6 3 0 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Sometimes you just don’t want to spend the time or energy making a big batch of soup. This is especially true for us since we are a small family of two.
While having leftovers ready-to-go in the refrigerator makes getting a meal on the table so much easier, there are times when we don’t feel like eating the same thing for three or four meals.
That’s where this simple mug soup comes to the rescue. Perfect for a chilly day, this 5-ingredient chicken soup can be ready in about 15 minutes using common ingredients you probably already have in your pantry and refrigerator.
In addition to taking no time to prepare, this naturally gluten-free soup is also very easy to modify according to your tastes and what you have on hand. Be sure to adjust your SmartPoints accordingly, if making any substitutions.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Mug of Soup?
According to my calculations, each serving has 303 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
0 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
7 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Microwave Mug Chicken Soup
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients. Ideal mug size: 16- to 20-ounce.
Step 2: Add the broth to the mug and microwave on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until boiling.
Step 3: Stir quinoa into the broth and microwave on HIGH for 4 to 6 minutes, or until quinoa has softened.
Step 4: Stir in the chopped chicken and salsa and microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.
Step 5: Stir in the lime zest, lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve while hot.
- This recipe, as written, results in a hearty soup with that’s loaded with quinoa. Next time, I might add only 1 or 2 tablespoons of quinoa and maybe 1/4 cup of frozen mixed vegetables.
- Instead of jarred salsa, try fresh pico de gallo for a brighter flavor (this is what I did).
- This soup can be made with all different types of salsas (chunky, cantina style, with corn and black beans, chipotle, etc. – pick your favorite.
- Store any leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The quinoa in the soup will absorb most, if not all, of the broth. When you reheat the soup, simply add additional broth or water before heating.
- Enjoy this soup by itself, with a slice of crusty bread or with a side salad.
- For a more southwest flair, top with crushed baked tortilla chips, sliced jalapeños, additional salsa or pico, or a dollop of Greek yogurt (or low fat sour cream).
If you’ve made this 15-Minute Mug of Soup with Chicken and Quinoa, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Spicy Chicken & Quinoa Soup Mug
- 1 cup chicken, or vegetable, broth
- 3 tablespoons quinoa, rinsed
- 4 ounces chopped cooked lean chicken breast
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Ideal mug size: 16- to 20-ounces.
- Add the broth to the mug and microwave on HIGH for 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, or until boiling.
- Stir quinoa into the broth and microwave on HIGH for 4 to 6 minutes, or until quinoa has softened.
- Stir in the chopped chicken and salsa and microwave on HIGH for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through.
- Stir in the lime zest, lime juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve while hot.
Recipe source: 250 Best Meals in a Mug: Delicious Homemade Microwave Meals in Minutes by Camilla V. Saulsbury
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Easy Healthy Soup Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Instant Pot Turkey Taco Soup
- Spicy Chicken Avocado Soup
- 4-Ingredient Corn and Black Bean Soup
- Linda’s Simple 10-Minute Veggie Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!