WW Recipe of the Day: Orange-Sauced Slow Cooker Hot Fruit
(125 calories | *5 WW SmartPoints)
The recipe for this orange-sauced slow cooker hot fruit caught my eye as I was skimming through Slow and Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker the other day.
It seemed different, but in a good way.
When I think of fruit salad I think chilled, which isn’t always appealing in the middle of winter.
That’s where this orange-sauced slow cooker hot fruit salad comes in.
Made with canned fruit tossed in a simple sauce made of orange juice concentrate, brown sugar and cornstarch, it’s a nice way to start the day…
If you’re not opposed to canned fruit.
Which I’m not. (I love cottage cheese with canned peaches.)
The Skinny on Slow Cooker Orange-Sauced Fruit
I adapted the recipe only slightly, making a half batch and using fewer pears than called for.
We enjoyed this slow cooker hot fruit for breakfast, both agreeing that it was different but good.
I think it would be nice as a topping for waffles, pancakes, or the crock pot baked oatmeal I made a few days ago.
And would work for dessert topping ice cream, frozen yogurt, pound cake or angel food cake too.
According to my calculations, each serving has 125 calories, *3 Weight Watchers PointsPlus, *5 WW Freestyle SmartPoints. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers Freestyle/Flex plan?
Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Crock Pot Low-Fat Fruit with Orange Sauce, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Orange-Sauced Slow Cooker Hot Fruit
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks in juice, well drained
- 2 cans (14 to 15 ounces each) yellow cling sliced peaches in juice, well drained
- 1 can (14 to 15 ounces) pear halves, in juice, well drained and chopped
- 6 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur (optional)
- Ideal slow cooker size: 2-Quart.
- Dump all the drained fruit into your slow cooker.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the orange juice concentrate, cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until well blended.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Whisk until blended. Continue to microwave for 30 to 60 seconds longer, until the sauce is smooth and thickened.
- Whisk in the brown sugar until well combined.
- Add the orange sauce to the fruit in the slow cooker and toss gently to coat.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours, or until the sauce is thickened and is bubbling gently around the edges.
- If the mixture doesn't seem thick enough, uncover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes more. (Mine was plenty thick and didn't need this.)
- Remove the cover and stir in the orange liqueur if using.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot, warm, at room temperature or even chilled.
Source: Adapted from Slow and Easy: Fast-Fix Recipes for Your Electric Slow Cooker by Natalie Haughton
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you liked this hot orange-sauced fruit you might also like:
- Crock Pot Dried Fruit Compote
- Weight Watchers Cereal with Spiced Fruit Ambrosia
- Citrus Pomegranate Fruit Salad
- Orange Fruit Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!