WW Recipe of the Day: One-Pan Curried Rice & Shrimp Pilau
(214 calories | 7 6 2 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
This curried rice and shrimp one-dish meal requires no fancy ingredients or complicated steps. And clean-up is a snap since it’s all cooked in a single skillet.
Pilaf (as it’s commonly called in the US), or pilau (a common name in the UK), is a rice-based dish prepared with vegetables and usually a little protein.
According to Saveur, “The word pilau refers to a rice dish that has been prepared in a seasoned broth of onions and vegetables and served with shellfish, chicken or game. It arrived with African slaves and is very popular in the Caribbean and Southern states.”
This spice duo of mild curry powder and ground cumin dress it up a little and give it a delicious Asian flair.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Curried Rice and Shrimp Pilau?
According to my calculations, each serving has 214 calories and:
7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make One-Pan Curried Rice and Shrimp Pilau/Pilaf
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the red pepper and onion and cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until softened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Step 3: Add the rice, curry powder and cumin and continue stirring for 1 minute.
Step 4: Stir in the broth and bring mixture to a boil.
Once boiling, reduce to low heat, cover skillet and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, just until liquid is absorbed.
Step 5: Add the shrimp, peas, cilantro and lime juice and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until heated through.
Step 6: Divide evenly among 4 plates or bowls and serve immediately.
Curried Rice with Shrimp Recipe Notes
As noted by Camilla in the recipes headnotes, “This Indian-spiced riff on traditional rice pilaf gets multiple layers of texture (shrimp, peas, peppers and rice) and flavor (curry powder, cumin, lime and cilantro) without any fussy steps or fancy ingredients.”
Curried Rice and Shrimp Pilau Serving Suggestions
Enjoy this dish by itself or with a simple mixed greens salad.
Ways to Use Curried Rice and Shrimp Pilau (Pilaf) Leftovers
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. To reheat, add to a microwave safe bowl and heat in 30 second increments until heated through. Be sure to stir occasionally while heating to prevent scorching.
If you’ve made this low fat Curried Shrimp and Rice Pilaf, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
One-Dish Curried Rice and Shrimp Pilau (Pilaf)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup long-grain brown rice (uncooked)
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium ready-to-use vegetable, or chicken, broth
- 8 ounces fully cooked peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 cup frozen petite peas, thawed
- 3/4 cup packed fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Stir in the red pepper and onion and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until softened, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add the rice, curry powder and cumin and continue stirring for 1 minute.
- Stir in the broth and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to low heat, cover skillet and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes, just until liquid is absorbed.
- Add the shrimp, peas, cilantro and lime juice and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, until heated through.
- Divide evenly among 4 plates or bowls and serve immediately.
Recipe source: 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness by Camilla V. Saulsbury
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like this Curried Rice and Shrimp Pilau (Pilaf), you might also like
- Skinny Shrimp Creole
- Easy Slow Cooker Shrimp Curry
- Curried Shrimp with Garlic, Cilantro and Lime
- Southwestern Shrimp and Black Bean Salad
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!