This is another great healthy muffin recipe that is adapted from The Conscious Gourmet Cooking Retreat I attended in April.
It takes a little more work — grating carrots and apples — than is ideal for a lazy cook like me.
But it makes a big batch — 18 muffins — that freeze well.
I love having healthy frozen assets readily available when the ambition to feed myself well wanes.
It’s a hearty fruit and nut filled muffin that isn’t too sweet.
When we made them in Sedona we used maple sugar, a delicious healthy alternative to sugar that is expensive and not always easy to find.
Either brown sugar or sucanat will work as substitutes.
While the recipe also calls for for spelt or barley flour, whole-wheat can be used if you prefer.
Berry Hill Muffin Recipe
- 1 cup spelt or barley flour
- 1 cup rolled oats, coarsely ground in a food processor
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 cup maple sugar, brown sugar, or sucanat
- 1 1/2 cups finely grated carrots
- 2 large tart apples, peeled, cored and coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped dates, or apricots or combination
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk or soy milk
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375F degrees.
- Coat muffin pans with cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add fruit and nuts and stir to coat with flour mixture.
- In a second bowl, combine oil, salt, milk, eggs and vanilla.
- Pour liquid ingredients into the dry and stir until just moistened.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the muffin cups. (I think an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop works best)
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until nicely golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans for five minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Cool completely before storing.
Makes 18 muffins
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE eBook: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
An ecookbook with our most popular recipes!
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.