(Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Day 128)
This slow cooker breakfast barley with orange juice and fruit was an unexpected surprise.
The recipe caught my eye in Mable Hoffman’s Crockery Cookery, where it was listed with the vegetables and sides and suggested as a tasty accompaniment for ham.
But, one taste told me it would never fly as a side dish. The flavors and ingredients seemed much more appropriate for breakfast.
It was a chewy, nutty, delicious whole grain alternative to the slow cooker oatmeal, that’s quickly becoming a morning habit.
I used pearl barley, but think any barley should work.
This slow cooker breakfast barley recipe is really more of a template that can be adjusted to suit individual tastes, preferences and what’s on hand. Not a fan of apricots? Skip them or use another favorite dried fruit instead. Out of orange juice, substitute apple juice. I’m looking forward to playing with different combinations.
I also am amazed at how long this slow cooker breakfast barley with fruit kept me energized and satisfied. I’m a happy camper whenever I’m able to make it from breakfast to lunch without feeling hungry.
- 1⅔ cups water
- 1 cup orange juice
- ⅔ cup pearl barley
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried apricot halves, chopped
- ¼ cup chopped dates
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts or pecans
- Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 2-Quart
- Spray your slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine the orange juice, water, barley, cranberries, apricots, dates, apple, allspice and nuts in your slow cooker. Stir.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, or until the barley is tender and has absorbed the liquid. (It may appear a little thin, but will thicken up considerably as it cools a bit.)
- Serve warm.
Source: adapted from Mable Hoffman’s Crockery Cookery
If you liked slow cooker breakfast barley you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for slow cooker breakfast barley calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.