I chose this Ina Garten Roasted Eggplant Spread for this month’s Ina Fridays.
What’s Ina Fridays? A little gathering of bloggers devoting the first Friday of each month to the recipes of Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa.
This month we are focusing on appetizers.
When it comes to appetizers, I like to keep things simple. And it doesn’t get much simpler than this Ina Garten Roasted Eggplant Spread from The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook.
You just roast chunks of eggplant, red bell pepper and onion with a little olive oil and garlic. Let it cool. Process with some tomato paste. Dump it into a bowl. And serve with vegetables and/or pita chips.
Not only good, but good for you, this low fat Ina Garten Roasted Eggplant Spread is delicious tossed with pasta too.
I decreased the oil to 2 tablespoons from 3 to save a few calories and fat grams. It was just as delicious. Each 1/4-cup serving of Ina Garten Roasted Eggplant Dip has 62 calories and 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, peeled and cut into into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the eggplant, bell pepper and onion into a large bowl. Add the garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper and toss everything to coat with the oil.
- Spread the mixture out onto a large baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes and then remove pan from the oven and turn the vegetables over. Return to the oven and continue to bake until the vegetables are soft and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly. Place the vegetables in a food processor fitted with a steel blade, add the tomato paste and pulse several times to blend. Taste and add more salt and pepper as necessary.
I love skinny dips and spreads so much I wrote a cookbook devoted to them:
See What Others are Cooking
Alyce @ More Time at the Table
Ansh @ Spice Roots
Barbara @ Moveable Feasts
Bhavna @ Just a Girl From AAmchi Mumbai
Chaya @ Bizzy Bakes
Linda @ There and Back Again
Minnie @ The Lady 8 Home
Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
Nancy @ My Picadillo
Veronica @ My Catholic Kitchen
Rocky Mountain Woman @ The Rocky Mountain Woman
Peggy@ Pantry Revisited
Ria @ Ria’s Collection
The Contessa (Linda) @ The Tumbleweed Contessa
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.