These coconut drop cookies are a variation of the old-fashioned brown sugar drops I baked last week.
Adding shredded coconut and nuts to the brown sugar drop cookie dough changes it dramatically.
My mom, who loves coconut almost as much as me, declared these simple coconut drop cookies the best of the three variations we taste-tested.
And I’d have to say I agree.
Homemade cookies, like these coconut drop cookies, from old cookbooks are one of my favorite things. Usually, they are not nearly as sweet and rich as more modern recipes. And they tend to me smaller. So, they are naturally Weight Watchers friendly!
If you like coconut, I think you will love these simple soft and chewy coconut drop cookies. Each cookie has just 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup buttermilk or water
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded coconut
- ½ cup chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans would be good)
- In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter, buttermilk and egg until creamy and well blended. (The mixture may look curdled which is fine.)
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt just until blended.
- Stir in the chopped coconut and nuts.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- When you are ready to bake the cookies, position an oven rack in the center of your oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Drop cookie dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. (I like to line mine with parchment paper.)
- Bake in the center of the oven until almost no indentation remains when touched, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- Repeat with the remaining cookie dough, being sure that the cookie sheets are cool before placing dough on them.
Source: 1978 Betty Crocker Cookbook
If You Liked Coconut Drop Cookies You Might Also Like:
*PointsPlus® for coconut drop cookies calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.