This Weight Watchers cereal with spiced fruit ambrosia is another vintage weight watchers breakfast recipe, this one from the Weight Watchers’ 365-Day Menu Cookbook published in 1981.
(I love old cookbooks and Weight Watchers cookbooks are no exception.
While some of the recipes seem dated and unappealing, I always end up finding a few treasures hidden within their pages, like this one for cottage cheese danish.)
This simple Weight Watchers cereal recipe caught my eye, probably because of its tasty title – “Cereal with Spiced Fruit Ambrosia” sounds so sweet and satisfying.
It’s basically cream of wheat cooked with nonfat milk, to which you add fruit cocktail juice, sweetener, and a little ground cinnamon and ginger.
(The original recipe calls for artificial sweetener, but I’m not a big fan, so substituted a little maple syrup instead. Use what you like and adjust the PointsPlus accordingly. For example my 2-3 teaspoons of maple syrup has 1 PointsPlus so my breakfast would be 6 instead of 5.)
You place the cereal on top of a serving of fruit cocktail and then sprinkle it with a little shredded coconut. In addition to sounding yummy, it seemed like the perfect way to use up the toasted coconut I had left after making this citrus pomegranate fruit salad.
This Weight Watchers Cereal with Spiced Fruit Ambrosia is a warm, satisfying way to begin the day on a cool fall or winter morning. And it helps me meet this month’s Weight Watchers routine to incorporate fruits and/or veggies at every meal and snack.
To save time during the week you could always make a big batch of cream of wheat on Sunday and store it in the fridge to rewarm during busy weekday mornings .
Do you have a favorite breakfast cereal recipe that incorporates a serving or two of fruit? I’d love for you to tell us about it!
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1-1/2 ounces uncooked cream of wheat cereal
- 1 cup canned fruit cocktail, in fruit juice (no sugar added), drained
- Sweetener of choice (if desired)
- Dash ground ginger
- Dash ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons shredded coconut, toasted
- Pour the milk into the top of a double boiler. Place over boiling water and cook until hot. Slowly stir in the cereal and cook until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. (I was able to skip the double boiler and cook over low heat in a heavy bottomed saucepan.)
- Remove from the heat and drain juice from the fruit cocktail into the cereal. Add sweetener, ginger and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Place half of the fruit cocktail into the bottom of each of two small cereal bowls and then spoon the cereal over each, dividing evenly. Top each with a teaspoon of toasted coconut.
If you liked Weight Watchers Cereal with Spiced Fruit Ambrosia you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for Weight Watchers Cereal with Spiced Fruit Ambrosia calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.