I totally overshot the runway with eggnog this holiday season, purchasing 2 quarts of it right before Christmas.
I love eggnog, but didn’t really have anyone else to help me drink it.
Now I have a lot leftover and am looking for creative ways to use it.
So, I decided to whip up a batch of eggnog oatmeal muffins for breakfast last week.
I used my favorite old-fashioned oatmeal muffins recipe as a starting point and made adjustments from there, substituting a combination of eggnog and milk for the buttermilk. Sprinkling them with a little cinnamon sugar gave them a sweet crunchy topping.
These eggnog oatmeal muffins were a hit around here. They’re definitely best served warm, so be sure to re-warm any you have leftover.
- 1-1/4 cups white wheat flour
- 1 cup quick oats (not instant)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup light eggnog
- ½ cup milk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Position an oven rack in the middle of your oven and preheat the oven to 400 F degrees. Coat the cups of a standard 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt until well blended.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggnog, milk, oil, egg and rum extract until well blended.
- Pour the eggnog mixture into the flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Evenly distribute the muffin batter among the 12 muffin cups, filling them no more than ¾ full.
- To make the topping, combine the 1 tablespoon sugar and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon in a little bowl and sprinkle evenly on the tops of the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place the muffin tin on a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes. Then carefully remove the muffins from the tin. Enjoy while still warm.
If you liked eggnog oatmeal muffins, you might also like:
*PointsPlus® for eggnog oatmeal muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!