This week’s Weight Watcher’s Weekly included a link to this recipe for coconut hot cocoa to celebrate National Cocoa day (which they reported as 12/13, but turns out to be 12/12) that immediately got my attention. I’m a huge fan of both hot cocoa and coconut, but had never thought to combine the flavors.
So in honor of National Cocoa Day, I decided to treat myself to a cup. I ended up making several changes to the original recipe. I decreased the proportions to make only 1 serving instead of 4. And I used my favorite coconut milk beverage instead of a combination of skim milk and canned light coconut milk. To kick up the coconut flavor a bit, I added a little coconut extract. And I topped it with a little light whipped topping and a sprinkle of coconut, since it was a celebration, after all.
If you’re looking for more Weight Watchers friendly hot cocoa recipes, I’ve included a few links at the end of the post.
- 1-1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup coconut milk beverage
- ⅛ teaspoon coconut extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons light whipped topping (I used Reddiwip)
- Sprinkle of coconut (optional)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, water, cocoa and salt. Whisk in the coconut milk beverage and heat on medium, whisking often, until steaming and slightly bubbly around the edges.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the coconut and vanilla extracts.
- Pour into a mug and top with 2 tablespoons light whipped topping and sprinkle of coconut if desired.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Cocoa Recipes
Get your FREE ebook: 15 Favorite Slow Cooker Recipes (SmartPoints Edition)
You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, tips and support to help you live your best simple & more nourished life!