A big key to achieving lasting weight loss is establishing healthy habits that become automatic in your life. A great example of this is getting into the routine of making sure you always have a healthy snack with you whenever you leave the house.
I’ve become pretty good about making sure that I’ve always got a healthy snack or two or three stashed in my purse. My current portable snacks of choice include:
- Luna Fiber Bars (3 PointsPlus)
- Apples (0 PointsPlus)
- Bananas (0 PointsPlus)
- Weight Watchers Light String Cheese (1 PointsPlus)
- Mini Babybel Light rounds (1 PointsPlus)
- Nuts (17 almonds = 3 PointsPlus) in this cute little nut tin…
Why Packing a Snack is Important for Weight Loss Success
Knowing that I’m armed with a healthy, satisfying snack helps to fortify me against the tempting high-calorie offerings that can appear at every turn and prevents me from swaying off track when hunger strikes. So there’s never an excuse to grab a candy bar at the grocery store check out or pull into a fast food drive-through line. I can’t tell you know many times my healthy snack has saved me from myself!
One of the worst things you can do when you’re trying to lose weight is get “too hungry.” When you go too long without eating your blood sugar (glucose) dips which can make you feel tired, light-headed, shaky and crabby.
When you get to this point you are much more apt to make impulsive food choices, grabbing whatever is most convenient, which is never a good idea. And being overly hungry can lead to overeating when you finally do.
Small healthy snacks that include protein and fiber strategically eaten between meals can help keep your blood sugar even and energy levels high throughout the day.
More Healthy Weight Watchers Friendly Snack Options Include:
- Apple and Weight Watcher’s Light Cheese Stick (1 PointsPlus value)
- Apple with 1 tablespoon peanut butter (3 PointsPlus value)
- Hard boiled egg and a pear (2 PointsPlus value)
- Hummus and baby carrots (4 PointsPlus value)
- Half a Peanut Butter and Banana sandwich made with 1 Tablespoon peanut butter on 1 slice whole wheat bread (3 PointsPlus)
- Celery Sticks and 1 tablespoon peanut butter (3 PointsPlus value)
- Baby Carrots and a hard boiled egg (2 PointsPlus value)
- A banana and a Luna fiber bar (3 PointsPlus value)
- A portion controlled container of unsweetened applesauce and 17 almonds (3 PointsPlus value)
What Steps Do You Need to Take to Insure You Always Pack a Healthy Snack?
Be sure to set yourself up for success by figuring out what steps you need to take to make it a habit to always have a healthy snack with you. These might include:
- Making a list of healthy snacks that you want to have on hand.
- Shopping for healthy snacks so they’re on hand when you need them.
- Packing your healthy snacks every evening or during the weekend for all week.
- Putting a post it note on your purse/briefcase reminding yourself to grab the snack before you leave the house.
- Getting snacks prepped and portioned over the weekend. This might include washing your fruit and/or portioning carrots/celery/grapes into little snack bags.
With just a little smart planning, packing a snack can become as much a part of your life as brushing your teeth.
Do you usually pack a snack? If so, I would love you to share your favorite snacks with us.
The Eat This, Not That! No-Diet Diet: The World’s Easiest Weight-Loss Plan!
Small Changes, Big Results, Revised and Updated: A Wellness Plan with 65 Recipes for a Healthy, Balanced Life Full of Flavor
Snack on This (Weight Watchers)