Don’t these skinny chocolate coconut cake mix bar cookies look yummy?
They are incredibly easy and delicious with only 3 PointsPlus value too!
When you’re craving a sweet chocolate treat, these easy chocolate cake mix bar cookies will do the trick.
My brother, Peter, and I recently published our first eCookbook – Easy Cake Mix Bar Cookies: 25 Tried and True Recipes – in conjunction with our cookie website, Best Ever Cookie Collection.
For those of you who don’t know me, I’m a longtime recipe collecting fanatic and cookie lover, who enjoys the occasional kitchen shortcut, especially when it comes to cookie baking. I discovered how quick and easy it was to make cookies using a cake mix a couple of years ago and have been enjoying experimenting with them ever since.
I’m also a lifetime member of Weight Watchers who still tracks (most days) how many PointsPlus values I’m taking in, so now I’m working to calculate the nutrition and Weight Watchers PointsPlus information for all 25 bar cookie recipes in the book. As soon as it’s complete, I will post it here for all who are interested.
The good thing about cookies, is that they are naturally portion-controlled, making them a good choice for those of us who struggle with our weight and overeating.
I’m also experimenting with ways to make the cake mix cookie and bar cookie recipes in the eCookbook lighter and healthier.
This recipe for skinny chocolate coconut cake mix bar cookies was my first attempt and it turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!
They definitely looked a little underdone when I pulled the pan from the oven. But when it comes to baking brownie and bar cookies, it’s better to err on the underdone (not overdone) side, especially if you like your bar cookies soft and chewy. (If you bake them too long they will be dry and hard – not what you want!)
This is a super simple basic recipe that you can modify dozens of ways depending on what flavor of cake mix and kinds of mix-ins you choose.
For this attempt, I chose a package of chocolate cake mix because that was what was in the pantry. Since I love the combination of chocolate and coconut (think Mounds candy bar) – I stirred in some sweetened flaked coconut, white chocolate chips and semisweet chocolate chips. And I had a bottle of coconut extract in the cupboard, so added a little for good measure.
I lightened up the recipe for these chocolate coconut cake mix bar cookies by cutting back on the oil and using some nonfat Greek yogurt in it’s place. And I used fewer mix-ins, since they can be calorie heavy.
Everyone who got to try them gave them a hearty thumbs up.
Do you have a favorite bar cookie flavor combination? Oh, please tell!
- 1 package (18.25 ounces) chocolate cake mix
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ¼ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ¼ cup white chocolate chips
- ¼ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan and set it aside. (Or for easy cleanup, line the pan with foil and grease the foil.)
- In a large bowl, stir together the dry cake mix, oil, yogurt, and eggs with a wooden spoon until well blended. Stir in the coconut, and both kinds of chocolate chips.
- Spread the cookie batter evenly into the prepared pan. (The batter will be very thick.)
- Bake, 15 to 20 minutes, until the bars are just set. (They will still look a little underdone.) Don't overbake or they will be dry and hard.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack to cool completely. Cut into 30 bars.
I was a little concerned when I took them from the oven because they looked underdone. But once they cooled they were perfectly soft and chewy and not a bit underdone. Don't over-bake them or they will be too dry. It's best to err on the underdone side when baking brownies and bar cookies.
If you liked this skinny chocolate coconut cookie bars post, check out these other links:
- My recipe for Skinny Banana Coconut Chocolate Chip Bars
- My recipe for Skinny Low Fat Soft and Chewy M&M Cookies
- An article on Doctoring Up Baking Mixes from Weight Watchers
- Hungry Girl’s Newsletter full of ideas for lightening cake mixes
- Our eCookbook at Amazon Easy Cake Mix Bar Cookies: 25 Tried and True Recipes
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.