Leftover rotisserie chicken, apples, celery, and dried cranberries in a light creamy Greek yogurt based dressing – creates a luscious combination of flavors and textures – similar to the classic waldorf salad. I served this for lunch on a bed of mixed greens and baby arugula garnished with a little shredded carrot and chopped cucumber. It was light, healthy, satisfying and delicious.
I rarely cook chicken for the express purpose of making chicken salad. Instead it’s a recipe I tend to make when there’s leftover home cooked or rotisserie chicken staring back at me from the fridge.
Chicken salad is one of those things that can be made dozens of different ways from simple to sophisticated. It can also be really high in calories and fat when drenched in mayonnaise. To keep my chicken salads lighter and healthier, I use plain nonfat Greek yogurt and a little Hellman’s light mayonnaise to dress it without drowning it.
This salad would be yummy on whole wheat crackers or a toasted english muffin or stuffed into a pita too. Enjoy!
- 2½ cups chopped cooked chicken
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped apple (about 1 large; I used a Pink Lady and kept the peel because it was organic)
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons Hellman’s light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken, celery, apple and cranberries in a bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt, mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Add to the chicken mixture and stir to mix well.
- Stir in the parsley if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
More Slim & Healthy Chicken Salad Recipes
Creamy Chicken Salad Recipe – with celery, dried cranberries, and smoked almonds dressed in a combination of light mayonnaise and nonfat Greek Yogurt with 13.6 g fat, 14.6 g carbs. 2.8 g fiber, 39.5 g protein and 8 WW Points+ from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes
Curried Chicken Salad with Apples and Raisins – fruit studded chicken salad for two with with 222 calories and 6 WW Points+ from Cooking Light found at MyRecipes
Ellie Kriger’s Curried Chicken Salad - with grapes, almonds and cilantro has 325 calories and 6 WW Points+ per serving from Ellie Krieger found at the Food Network
Lighter Chicken Salad - from chicken cooked in broth so it needs less dressing with 4 WW Points+ from Gina at SkinnyTaste
Mango Chicken Salad – with yogurt, fresh mango, and mango chutney with 6 WW Points+ from Alanna at Kitchen Parade.