Here’s a recipe for low fat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars that turn out moist and chewy. I think you’re gonna love them. I sure do
These moist and chewy low fat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars are really easy to make too.
Skinny on Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
I used half whole wheat pastry flour and half all-purpose flour to make these low fat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars. And substituted unsweetened applesauce for half the oil.
Be careful not to over bake them or they will be dry. According to my calculations each cookie bar has 162 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons non-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pull out a 8 x 8-inch pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or for super easy cleanup, line it with aluminum foil and spray the foil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt until blended.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, and brown sugar together until creamy and well blended.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla and whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of your prepared 8 x 8-inch pan
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown. (Don't over-bake or they will be dry.)
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Once completely cool, store tightly covered.
I love this super-easy low fat healthier bar cookie recipe. It's so simple and delicious. You can modify this recipe in lots of ways.
I like to use a combination of all-purpose and wholegrain flour but use whatever you like best. Barley and oat flour are good choices.
You can use whatever kind of chips you like or a combination. I think half peanut butter chips and half chocolate chips or half butterscotch and half chocolate would be great.
Add your favorite chopped nuts and/or dried fruit, but if you are a Weight Watchers member, adjust your PointsPlus value accordingly.
*PointsPlus® for low fat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked low fat oatmeal chocolate chip cookie bars you might also like: