Do you have a soft spot for soft and chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies and cookie bars? (I sure do.)
Would you like to be able to indulge in a lighter healthier version that still tastes delicious?
Well, here’s a recipe for healthier low-fat chocolate chip oatmeal cookie bars that turn out moist and chewy. I think you’re gonna love them.
They’re very easy to make and can be modified in lots of different ways. Next time I make them I’m going to add chopped walnuts and dried cranberries
Be careful not to over-bake these cookie bars. Because they are low fat, they will not be moist if cooked too long so it’s probably best to pull them out as soon as you think they’re done.
- Moist & Chewy Low Fat Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Bake Time: 20 to 25 minutes
- Makes: 16 cookie bars
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons non-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
- ¾ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Pull out a 8 x 8-inch pan. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or for super easy cleanup, line it with aluminum foil and spray the foil.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt until blended.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, applesauce, and brown sugar together until creamy and well blended.
- Add the egg, milk and vanilla and whisk until well blended.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a wooden spoon just until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Stir in the oats and chocolate chips and mix well.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of your prepared 8 x 8-inch pan
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan.
- Cut into 16 squares.
- Once completely cool, store tightly covered.