Here’s a great easy dinner recipe, especially if you are looking for tasty sausage recipes for dinner.
Sausage, peppers, onions and potatoes in the oven.
I’v also included an equally delicious variation that adds pieces of chicken and crushed tomatoes to the mix.
Both versions are personal favorites of mine.
Mom use to make this great easy baked sausage recipe for dinner regularly. She learned to make it by watching her Italian-American sister-in-law prepare it back in the early 1960s, so it’s an easy recipe that has stood the test of time in our family.
I still enjoy this dish as much as when I was a kid.
While Mom always made it with Italian sausage made from pork, I often use Italian chicken or turkey sausage instead.
When it comes to making easy dinners you can’t beat the oven, which allows you to make hearty home cooked meals with minimal effort.
And isn’t that what simple cooking day to day is all about?
Once the mixture of chunks of Italian sausage, onion, pepper and potato (and optional chicken and tomato) are tossed together in a pan with olive oil and seasonings and placed in the oven, you are free to relax, catch up with yourself or leisurely make a salad until dinner’s ready. Now, how easy is that?
- 1 pound Italian turkey sausage, hot, sweet, or mixed, each cut crosswise into 3 chunks
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and each cut into 8 pieces
- 2 large bell peppers, seeded and cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 medium onions, each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. For easy cleanup line a large roasting pan (large enough to comfortably fit all the ingredients in a single layer) with aluminum foil. (I like to use a half sheet pan.)
- Place the sausage, potatoes, peppers, onions and garlic (if using) in the pan. Drizzle the olive oil over the ingredients. Season with the oregano, salt and pepper. Toss to coat everything with the oil and seasonings. Roast in the oven until the potatoes are tender and the sausage is browned, 45 to 60 minutes, stirring the mixture every 20 minutes or so.
Variation with Chicken and Tomatoes: Add 1 (2-1/2 to 3-1/2 pound) chicken, cut into 12 to 14 pieces and 6 canned imported Italian plum tomatoes, hand crushed with the juice, to the pan with the sausage, potatoes, peppers, onions and garlic. Roast for about 1 hour. The dish is done when the potatoes are tender and the chicken easily pulls away from the bone. This version will serve 4 to 6.
More Easy Sausage Recipes for Dinner:
Italian Sausage and Pasta – one of my favorite Italian sausage and pasta recipes for Ziti with sausage and vegetables originally from Jacques Pepin
Pumpkin Pasta and Sausage – a great pasta sausage recipe for dinner that’s healthy and delicious
Easy Sausage and Peppers Recipes – 2 that cook in the oven and 1 for the slow cooker