I continue to experiment with healthy muffin recipes, like this apple pecan muffin recipe.
I’m not a fan of artificial sweeteners and hate those rubbery fat-free, sugar-free, taste-free concoctions out there.
I don’t want cake masquerading as a muffin or one of those super-sized muffins weighing in with 400 to 500 calories, either.
I prefer my muffins moist, tender and not too sweet. The key for me is finding that perfect balance between taste and health.
When I checked out the fridge and pantry last night I discovered all the necessary ingredients –just enough applesauce, a granny smith apple, buttermilk and eggs — to make this apple pecan muffin recipe. So I hopped out of bed this morning anxious to stir them together and get them in the oven.
Many of my favorite healthy baking recipes contain non-fat buttermilk which adds moisture and tenderness without extra fat.
This apple pecan muffin recipe is full of chunks of apple and topped with a delicious crunchy mixture of pecans, cinnamon and sugar.
It was a delightful way to begin the day, with a cup of Greek yogurt or hard boiled egg.
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (walnuts would work too)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 apple peeled, cored, and chopped
- Position an oven rack in the middle and preheat the oven to 400F degrees. Coat a standard (2-12-inch) 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl mix together topping ingredients and set aside.
- Whisk together flours, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, applesauce, vanilla, and buttermilk in a large bowl until well combined. Stir the flour mixture into the liquid mixture just until combined. Gently stir in apple chunks.
- Divide the batter equally among the muffin cups. (I like to use an OXO Good Grips Cookie Scoop ) Sprinkle with nut mixture.
- Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center, about 15-20 minutes. Cool the muffins in the pan for 10 minutes and remove them to a wire rack to cool completely or enjoy while still warm.
Apple Pecan Muffin Recipe is slightly dapted from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life.
If you liked this apple pecan muffin recipe, here are some of my other favorite healthy muffin recipes:
Healthy Company Muffins - carrot cake, apple, whole wheat and oatmeal muffins all combined into one
7 Healthy Blueberry Muffin Recipes – a collection from my files and from around the web
Bran Muffins - a collection from my recipe files and from around the web
If this is your first time visiting Simple Nourished Living – welcome! If you like what you have found, please join me on Facebook or follow me on Pinterest or sign up to have my recipes and posts delivered by email. I’m always sharing easy, practical ideas for living happy, healthy and slim.
*PointsPlus® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.