WW Recipe of the Day: Nigella's Sugar-Free Breakfast Bars
A huge fan of Nigella Lawson's original breakfast bar recipe, I decided to try her new, improved breakfast bar recipe (from Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food , which she describes as, "gluten-free, dairy-free and enough seeds to make you start sprouting."
These healthy breakfast bars contain no processed sugar and are brimming with good-for-you ingredients.
Make these bars at the weekend, and you’ll be set up for the week if you’re someone who needs to grab-and-go in the morning.
How Many Calories and WW Points in Nigella's Healthy Breakfast Bars
According to my calculations each bar has 200 calories and:
6 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
6 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Breakfast Bars 2.0 Recipe Notes
I thought these breakfast bars were good. Chewy, satisfying and not overly sweet. I made a couple of changes based on what I had available, switching out Gogi berries for dried cranberries and skipping the cacao nibs.
Adapt these to what you like and have on hand. You can, for example, use sunflower seeds in place of flaxseeds, or half and half rather than all flaxseeds, and you can also use puffed rice or buckwheat flakes in place of cornflakes.
If you can’t get hold of medjool dates, then use 12 ounces pitted dried dates and up the water to 14 fluid ounces. And they’ll take about 10, rather than 5, minutes to cook until they’re soft enough to mash to a purée.
Here's the video with Nigella making these breakfast bars...
If you've made Nigella's Healthy Breakfast Bars, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Nigella Lawson Breakfast Bars 2.0
- 9 ounces medjool dates
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ⅔ cup gogi berries (I substituted dried cranberries)
- ½ cup shelled pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup brown flaxseeds
- ½ cup cacao nibs (I omitted them)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup cornflakes
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Preheat the oven to 350F degrees and line the bottom and sides of a 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Pit the dates and tear them with your fingers into a small saucepan. Add the cinnamon, cover with 1 cup cold water, bring to the boil and let bubble for 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, and beat with a fork until you have a rough purée.
- Put all the remaining ingredients into a large bowl, add the date mixture and mix until everything is combined.
- Scrape the mixure into your prepared tin and press it down evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, until firm and set, and golden on top and darker around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and place the pan on a wire rack, allowing the bars to cool in the baking pan before cutting into pieces.
Use sunflower seeds in place of flaxseeds, or half and half rather than all flaxseeds. Substitute puffed rice or buckwheat flakes for cornflakes. If you can't get hold of medjool dates, then use 12 ounces pitted dried dates and up the water to 1-¼ cups. They’ll take about 10, rather than 5, minutes to cook until they're soft enough to mash to a purée. Serving size: 1 breakfast bar Click here to see your WW PersonalPoints for this recipe and track it in the WW app or site. 6 *SmartPoints (Green plan) 6 *SmartPoints (Blue plan) 6 *SmartPoints (Purple plan) 5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Source: Adapted from Simply Nigella by Nigella Lawson
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
Nigella's Original Breakfast Bar Recipe
Less "healthy," but still one of my favorites!
If you like this recipe for Nigella's Breakfast Bars, check out these links:
- Healthy Homemade Granola/Energy Bars - soft, chewy and satisfying from Ellie Krieger (4 PPV)
- Best Healthy Homemade Maple Granola Recipe - my personal favorite (5 PointsPlus)
- Low Fat Chewy Granola Bars - with pecans, raisins, and chocolate with 5 PointsPlus value (Skinny Taste)
- Homemade Cereal Bars with no added sugar and 5 PointsPlus value (Snack Girl)
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!