WW Recipe of the Day: Italian Sesame Seed Cookies
(73 calories | 3 3 3 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
I first made these little Italian sesame seed cookies back in 2006, while on a Vermont Culinary Vacation with my sister and had completely forgotten about them until recently.
The Skinny on Italian Sesame Seed Cookies
Easy to make cookies are one of my favorite skinny & delicious sweet treats. Because they’re naturally portion-controlled, they’re perfect when you’re trying to watch your weight.
These crisp, not-too-sweet Italian cookies have a rich and addictive nutty sesame flavor and delicate crunch. In Sicily, such Biscotti di Regina are made with butter and white flour, but this version, with olive oil and part whole-wheat pastry flour, is just as delicious.
According to my calculations, each Italian cookie has 73 calories and:
3 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
2 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
They’re great as an afternoon treat with coffee, tea or espresso. Enjoy!
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
If you’ve made this Italian Sesame Cookies, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Italian Sesame Seed Cookies Recipe
- 1/4 cup white, hulled sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup mild extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Position an oven rack in the center and preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, toast the sesame seeds for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove cookie sheet from the oven and immediately transfer the sesame seeds to a small plate.
- In a large bowl mix the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt together and then sift to make sure that everything is well blended.
- In another bowl, beat the egg and then add the olive oil and vanilla and beat until well blended.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir and then knead by hand to make a smooth dough. (It will be slightly crumbly, but will hold together.)
- Pinch of pieces of dough that are about a tablespoon in volume, and then roll them between your hands into fat little logs that are about 1-1/2 inches long and 3/4-inch thick.
- Roll each log in the sesame seeds, tamping the ends in the seeds to finish them.
- Lay the cookie logs on the prepared baking sheet about inch apart.
- Bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes, until golden.
- Remove from the oven and place the baking sheet on a rack to cool.
- These cookies will keep well in a tightly closed tin.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
If you like Italian Sesame Seed Cookies, you might also like:
- Homemade Fig Newton Bars Recipe
So much better than store-bought with 3 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
- Wheaties Coconut Cookies Recipe
Sweet, crispy, chewy and delicious with 4 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
- Moist Chewy Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie Bars Recipe
Easy & delicious with 7 WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!