WW Recipe of the Day: Baked Cheeseburger Casserole for Two
(326 calories | 9 9 9 myWW *SmartPoints value per serving)
Let's revisit the bacon cheeseburger, one of my go to, gotta have meals. This baked casserole is pretty close to the flavors I'm accustomed to.
The good news about this clever rendition is that it's actually easy to do ahead and make for just a few people. Especially if time is a little short at the end of the day when you "need" dinner quickly, this can be made ahead (even frozen for up to a month) thawed and baked at the last minute.
Just like any basic burger, this can be dressed up or down with your favorite add ons. Additional sliced tomatoes, pickles, lettuce can all be served on the side as well as the traditional fries, which I usually bake now rather than deep fry.
All in all, it's a great burger experience for weekday dinners.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Easy Low Carb Cheeseburger Casserole?
According to my calculations, each serving has 326 calories and:
9 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
9 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
Curious about Weight Watchers new myWW Green, Blue and Purple plans? Watch this short video to learn more:
How to Make Baked Cheeseburger Casserole Step by Step
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: Heat the oven to 375F degrees. Spray an 8-inch square casserole dish and set aside.
Step 3: Spray and heat a 9-inch skillet and saute the meat for 2 minutes over medium high heat, or until lightly colored.
Drain the meat if a lot of liquid has accumulated and place the meat on a plate.
Step 4: Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes or until softened.
Step 5: Return the meat to the pan and stir in the Italian seasoning. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
Step 6: Turn off the heat and stir in the cream cheese, ketchup (or marinara sauce) and mustard.
Step 7: Spread in prepared pan and top with the egg whites. Top with cheese and bacon bits.
Step 8: Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and slightly bubbly.
Step 9: Serve hot or warm.
Recipe Notes with Substitutions & Variations
- Ground turkey works just as well as beef, if you're feeling like a slightly lighter version.
- Additional veggies like cherry tomatoes can be added; try decorating the top with them.
- For a distinctive Italian flair, substitute low fat mozzarella or fontina cheese for the cheddar.
- Ketchup will add that traditional tang, while marinara sauce is a little more subtle. Both are delicious.
- For a spicier dish, go for the horseradish mustard or a strong Dijon. Trader Joe's Dijon mustard is a real zinger, so if you use it beware!
- A milder spicy brown mustard or yellow mustard will be fine if you're looking for a mild, less assertive route.
- If the casserole looks cooked but has yet to nicely brown, turn the temperature to broil for 1 to 2 minutes.
Cheeseburger Casserole Serving Suggestions
Serve with a simple green salad and/or oven baked fries. Don't forget to garnish your casserole with all your favorite cheeseburger toppings such as tomato, lettuce, and pickles.
Ways to Use Leftovers
Since this recipe makes only two servings, leftovers will be minimal. Leftover casserole can be reheated lightly in the microwave for a quick lunch. It does freeze well, although we rarely have enough leftover to bother with.
If you buy a pound of ground beef and have that half package left, that can be easily frozen as can the cheddar cheese, if you need to.
If you've made this Baked Casserole, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Easy Healthy Baked Cheeseburger Casserole
- ½ pound extra lean ground beef
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian Seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 ounces light cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons ketchup, or marinara sauce
- 2 teaspoon mustard
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- Heat the oven to 375F degrees. Spray an 8-inch square casserole dish and set aside.
- Spray and heat a 9-inch skillet and saute the meat for 2 minutes over medium high heat, or until lightly colored. Drain the meat if a lot of liquid has accumulated and place the meat on a plate.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute for 3 minutes, or until softened.
- Return the meat to the pan and stir in the Italian seasoning. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the cream cheese, ketchup (or marinara sauce) and mustard.
- Spread meat mixture in prepared pan and top with the egg whites. Top with cheese and bacon bits.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and slightly bubbly.
- Serve hot or warm.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Healthy "Cheeseburger" Recipes for Weight Watchers
- Skinny Cheeseburger Pasta One Pot Skillet
- Skinny Cheeseburger Salad
- Lighter Healthier Cheeseburger Soup
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!