What do you get when you cross chocolate chip cookie dough with chocolate brownie batter?
Cookie Dough Brownies.
I've seen recipes for from scratch chocolate chip cookie dough brownies in various cookbooks and on internet recipe sites.
While they sounded good, they also seemed like quite a bit of work. It's the kind of thing I would have thought nothing of making back in my 20s or 30s. These days I'm on the lookout for delicious shortcut recipes that take less time and effort but still taste great.
When this box of Betty Crocker Chocolate Chip cookie bars mix caught by eye at the market, I decided to give it a try.
The mix makes an 8-inch square pan of cookie dough brownies that everybody loved. It was a little embarrassing to accept such praise from something that began with a mix, but I quickly got over it.
But this mix can be hard to find and I hate running around from store to store hunting down products.
So, I was really happy to run across a recipe from Betty Crocker for Cookie Dough Brownies that uses a package of chocolate chip cookie dough mix and a box of brownie mix and makes up a generous 9x13-inch pan of decadent cookie bars. (Leave it to Betty.)
I'm in Florida with my Dad this week and since he has a huge sweet tooth decided to make up a batch.
Betty suggests topping these cookie brownie bars with a layer of prepared chocolate frosting and I've seen some suggest a rich chocolate ganache instead. I think they are plenty rich without the icing. Sometimes less is more when it comes to sweet treats. But don't let my restraint stop you, feel free to frost away till your heart's content.
Cookie Dough Brownie Recipe
For the brownie layer:
- 1 box (19 to 22 ounce) brownie mix
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup water
- 2 large eggs
For the cookie dough layer:
- 1 package (1 lb 1.5 oz) chocolate chip cookie mix
- ½ cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 container chocolate frosting or homemade chocolate ganache (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray, grease with shortening, or for easiest cleanup line the pan with foil and grease the foil. In a large mixing bowl stir together the brownie mix, oil, water and 2 eggs as directed on the box. Spread the brownie batter evenly into prepared pan.
- In another large mixing bowl , stir together the brownie mix, butter and 1 egg as directed on the box. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls evenly onto brownie batter; press down lightly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for at least 30 minutes. When cool, frost with a container of prepared frosting or spread with homemade ganache, if desired.
For Chocolate Ganache - Heat ¾ cup cream and 2 tablespoons butter to just below the boiling point. Pour over chocolate and allow to sit 3 to 4 minutes. Stir until smooth and shiny. Spread over cooled brownies.
Source: Betty Crocker
More chocolate brownie recipes...
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!