I never expected to be writing a post about Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets. I didn’t even know Dolly Parton had a weight problem or secrets to share. I was just minding my own business, checking out the cookbooks at Good Will recently.
Somehow out of the corner of my eye, I caught the cover of her book, Dolly: My Life and Other Unfinished Business, lying there right beside the cookbooks. Before I knew what was happening I had picked it up and randomly opened to page 254…
The first words I saw were, “The Dolly Diet.” I’m not kidding! So, I spent the next several minutes reading about her weight struggles and how she had solved them.
She had me laughing out loud so I decided then and there to buy the book, bring it home and write up her “Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets” to share. And those few pages were so funny and engaging, I’ve decided to start at the beginning and read the rest of her life story.
Are you ready to discover Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets?
Okay, but first a little background…
She says she tried every diet in the book and some that weren’t in the book: Scarsdale, Stillman, Optifast, Juicefast and Waterfast and even took shots that she thought were made from cow pee. (Could she be talking about HCG?) She said that she “endured every form of torture anybody with a white coat and a clipboard could devise for a fat girl who really liked fried pork chops.” (Can you relate? I sure can.)
One night while in the midst of another liquid diet, she was out with a group of friends at a Howard Johnson’s. Some of them were eating fried clams and the smell drove her crazy and made her feel sorry for herself. She went off the diet and had some of the fried clams. Then she went home and wrote one of her biggest hits, “Two Doors Down.” (Talk about a silver lining. Have you ever had a positive experience after going “off” your diet?)
She continued to struggle. And there were times she thought about giving up. She’d say, “I’m just gonna eat everything and go ahead and weigh five hundred pounds and have to be buried in a piano case.” She would binge on a few donuts or some other decadent delight and then jump right back on the “diet” bandwagon.
She even read a diet book that told her to pretend there are angels eating with you and that you want to save some for them. (A diet book I somehow missed) But there were times, even though she loved angels and liked the idea that she, “would slap those angels out of the way and have their part too. A true hog will do that.”
Finally, she came up with her own diet, “The Dolly Diet.” She said that the concept was so simple, she didn’t know how it took her so long to think of it…
Are you ready???
Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets #1
1. She eats whatever she has a craving for in VERY SMALL Quantities. She says that the only good diet is the one you can stick with. This was the compromise that “Dolly the movie star was able to make with Dolly the pig that has kept both sides reasonably satisfied.”
She will go out to dinner and order two or three entrees and then have just a few bites from each one. She leaves the rest for anyone who wants it. Wasteful? Yes. But, as I like to say, “Better to waste than to waist.”
She includes a strong disclaimer that she is not suggesting this method for anyone else. Only that you figure out what works for you and as long as it’s not detrimental to your health and you can afford it, to just do it. Great advice, don’t you think?
She says, “The inescapable truth about any diet is: If you’re going to lose weight you’re going to have to eat less food.”
Okay, she has one more piece of wisdom to share, but I warn you, you may be shocked and/or disgusted, so continue reading at your own risk…
Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets #2
2. She sometimes chews without swallowing. She says, “Our taste buds are all in our mouths. Once we swallow, we don’t really taste the food. The pleasure and satisfaction is in the tasting and chewing.” Which means, that sometimes Dolly Parton chews and then spits out the food. Disgusting? Maybe. But, “What’s more disgusting? Spitting our food or being a lardass?” (Her words, not mine.) Dolly immediately clarifies by saying she is not suggesting bulimia or throwing up, just spitting out. She says that a lot of stars chew and spit. Did you know that? I guess I’d never really thought about it.
So, there you have it . She learned to EAT LESS in a way that didn’t cause her to feel deprived.
Could anything be more simple? Why do we make this weight loss thing so complicated?
What do you think about these Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets? Are you surprised? Sad? Shocked? Disappointed? Disgusted?
Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets – My Take Aways:
- She took responsibility for her weight.
- She gave herself permission to do what she needed, even if it seems crazy or wasteful to everyone else.
- She trusted herself and found the solution inside herself, instead of relying on someone else’s “diet.”
- She found her own unique way to live happy, healthy and slim.
Once you get honest, decide to change and then commit to doing what you need to do, anything is possible!
If you liked this post about Dolly Parton Weight Loss Secrets, you might also like:
- Trisha Yearwood’s Weight Loss Story
- Weight Loss Success Stories
- Best Healthy Weight Loss Books
- 10 Easy Weight Loss Tips for People Who Are Done with Diets
- Essential Weight Loss Ingredient
- Diet to Go Meal Delivery: Healthy Eating Made Easy
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or Craftsy links, I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!