Have you heard of Brene Brown?
She is a research professor at the University of Houston Graduate College of Social Work who has spent the past decade studying vulnerability, courage, worthiness, and shame.
I'm a huge fan.
I first learned of her through a TED TALK she gave a few years ago that went viral. (It's one the most watched talks on Ted.com with over 15 million views.) It so captivated me, I immediately downloaded her book, The Gifts of Imperfection: Let Go of Who You Think You're Supposed to Be and Embrace Who You Are to my Kindle and devoured it within a few days.
I think it's safe to say that it changed my life. I'm now well into her followup: Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead.
If you are one of those people trying to be perfect and do it all, I encourage you to watch the video below and let me know what you think.
Her 10 Guideposts for Whole-Hearted Living are something I want to refer to again and again, so I'm posting them here where I can't lose them.
I'm pretty sure that cultivating these rules will do more to resolve our struggles with food + weight than any "Diet" on the planet.
Brene Brown's 10 Guideposts for Wholehearted Living
1. Cultivating Authenticity: Letting Go of What People Think
2. Cultivating Self-Compassion: Letting Go of Perfectionism
3. Cultivating a Resilient Spirit: Letting Go of Numbing and Powerlessness
4. Cultivating Gratitude and Joy: Letting Go of Scarcity and Fear of the Dark
5. Cultivating Intuition and Trusting Faith: Letting Go of the Need for
6. Cultivating Creativity: Letting Go of Comparison
7. Cultivating Play and Rest: Letting Go of Exhaustion as a Status Symbol and
Productivity as Self-Worth
8. Cultivating Calm and Stillness: Letting Go of Anxiety as a Lifestyle
9. Cultivating Meaningful Work: Letting Go of Self-Doubt and "Supposed To"
10. Cultivating Laughter, Song, and Dance: Letting Go of Being Cool and "Always in Control"
From Daring Greatly by Brene Brown. Copyright © 2012 by Brene Brown.
This Ted Talk - The Power of Vulnerability - was recorded in Houston, TX, 2010
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
Books by Brene Brown available on Amazon:
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!