I’ve been thinking about this Brown Rice Tomato Basil Salad ever since making slow cooker farro with cherry tomatoes and Parmesan.
It’s an oldie but good from the Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family that I first made years ago.
If you’re on the lookout for easy tasty Weight Watchers salad recipes this fits the bill. With just a handful of ingredients you can make it in minutes, especially if you have leftover brown rice in the refrigerator.
Cooking up a large pot of beans, or brown rice, or lentils, or quinoa once or twice a week to have on hand in the fridge can be a real time saver at meal time. (At the moment I have both a stash of cranberry beans and brown rice available.)
The Skinny on Brown Rice Tomato Basil Salad
With brown rice in the refrigerator and tomatoes and basil on the counter, I was able to whip up this wholesome low fat brown rice tomato basil salad in less than ten minutes.
I made a couple of adjustments. I used red wine vinegar since I didn’t have champagne or rice wine vinegar. And used honey instead of sugar.
It you want to make this brown rice tomato basil salad ahead, leave out the basil until serving time.
If like me you find cooking rice a challenge, you may want to do what I did – invest in a Rice Cooker. It’s made my life so much simpler. Sticky and/or scorched rice are now a thing of the past.
(In the meantime, if you need a little extra brown rice cooking guidance, here is a great blog post from Pinch My Salt for How to Make Perfect Brown Rice on the stove.)
According to my calculations each serving has 155 calories and *4 Weight Watchers Points Plus and is Simply Filling.
This tastes best served at room temperature.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¼ cup champagne or rice wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons sugar (I used honey)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup packed basil leaves, chopped
- Bring 2¼ cups water to a boil and add the rice and 1 teaspoon salt. Return to a boil, cover, and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the rice is tender and all the water is absorbed. Transfer rice to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, remaining teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of pepper. Pour mixture over the rice. Add the chopped tomatoes and basil. Mix well and adjust the seasonings to suit your tastes. This brown rice tomato basil salad is best served at room temperature.
Source: slightly adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style: Easy Ideas and Recipes That Make Everyone Feel Like Family
*PointsPlus® for brown rice tomato basil salad calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked brown rice tomato basil salad you might like:
- Camilla’s Lemony Lentil & Quinoa Salad
- Farro with Cherry Tomatoes and Parmesan
- Easy Corn Salad with tomatoes and basil
- Homemade Salad Dressings
Today’s food for thought…
“You may have to fight a battle more than once to win it.”
~ Margaret Thatcher
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.