This recipe for Ina’s chunky low fat banana bran muffins was originally posted last July. I had joined a small group of bloggers devoting the first Friday of each month to the recipes of Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa).
I adapted these low fat banana bran muffins from a recipe in Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You’ll Make Over and Over Again. (You can also find the original recipe on the Food Network.)
Skinny on Ina’s Chunky Low Fat Banana Bran Muffins
A girl of unusual tastes, I’ve loved bran muffins for as long as I can remember. So, it’s no surprise that I loved these too.
Moist, dense and flavorful with chunks of nuts, raisins, and banana, the flavors of orange zest and molasses really came through.
I made a quarter batch, enough batter for 6 muffins. And to shave a few calories, I cut back on the chunky additions.
According to my calculations, each of these chunky low fat banana bran muffins has 225 calories. 3.7 g fiber and 6 Weight Watchers PointsPlus.
If you’re not crazy about bran or molasses, you’d probably be better off trying a different recipe. (I still like the old one from the back of the Kellogg’s bran cereal box too.)
Served with a little yogurt and fruit, it made for a deliciously sweet and satisfying breakfast. The is definitely the kind of moist, dense, fiber-rich muffin that will keep you full for a while.
- ½ cup unprocesed bran
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons unsulfured molasses
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup rasins, plumped in warm water and then drained well, if dry
- ½ cup large-diced bananas (1/2 large banana)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line 6 cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the bran and buttermilk and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir in the butter, brown sugar, egg, molasses, orange zest, vanilla and salt until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and baking soda until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture to the buttermilk mixture and stir just until combined. Don't over mix it or your muffins will be tough! Gently fold in the bananas, raisins and walnuts with a rubber spatula.
- With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, evenly divide the batter amongst the six muffin cups, filling them till full.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and place the muffin tin on a rack to cool. Let the muffins cool in the pans. When cool, gently remove them to a plate.
Source adapted from Barefoot Contessa at Home: Everyday Recipes You’ll Make Over and Over Again
*PointsPlus® for Ina’s chunky low fat banana bran muffins calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
If you liked low fat banana bran muffins you might also like:
Today’s food for thought…
Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life.
~ Steve Jobs
Do you have a favorite quote? I’d love for you to leave it for me in the comments!!
See What Others Cooked Up this Week…
Alyce @ More Time at the Table
Ansh @ Spice Roots
Barbara @ Moveable Feasts
Bhavna @ Just a Girl From AAmchi Mumbai
Chaya @ Bizzy Bakes
Linda @ There and Back Again
Minnie @ The Lady 8 Home
Mireya @ My Healthy Eating Habits
Nancy @ My Picadillo
Veronica @ My Catholic Kitchen
Rocky Mountain Woman @ The Rocky Mountain Woman
Ria @ Ria’s Collection
The Contessa (Linda) @ The Tumbleweed Contessa
This post contains Affiliate Links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links, I receive a commission that helps support this site. Thanks for your purchase!