Have you ever had a cottage cheese baked potato with salsa?
It’s one of those old standby ideas for a super quick and easy lunch or dinner I got from Weight Watchers eons ago. And managed to forget until someone suggested it as a quick and easy lunch or dinner recently.
Turning a baked (or sweet) potato into a meal is an easy, satisfying way to solve the lunch or dinner dilemma. I don’t know why I don’t do it more often. I LOVE them. And there are dozens of delicious ways you can top or stuff them.
Some of my other favorite ways to top a potato to turn it into a meal include:
- Steamed Broccoli and Cheese
- Chili or Stew
- Roasted Vegetables
- Black Beans, Avocado and Salsa
Skinny on Salsa Cottage Cheese Baked Potato
The salsa and cottage cheese baked potato is one of the most easy, healthy and delicious ways I know. (Unless, of course you are not a fan of cottage cheese or salsa.) And it takes just minutes if you use the microwave.
If you have time and like crispy-skinned baked potatoes the oven (or toaster oven) is the way to go. But when time is of the essence, the microwave gets the job done in about 5 minutes.
Just pop a medium size potato in the microwave and cook on high until it’s soft. Cut it open and sprinkle it with salt and pepper. Then top with cottage cheese and salsa.
According to my calculations each serving has 289 calories and *7 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
- 1 medium sized baked potato
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- ⅓ cup salsa
- Salt and pepper
- Scrub the potato, and prick several times with the tines of a fork. Place on a microwave-safe plate and cook at full power for 5 minutes. A medium size potato should be done. If it's not, turn it over and cook for another 3-5 minutes. If it's sitll hared in the middle, cook in additional 1-minute increments until done.
- When the potato is soft, remove from the microwave, and cut in half lengthwise. Season with salt and pepper, and mash up the inside a little using a fork. Top with cottage cottage cheese and then salsa.
*PointsPlus® for cottage cheese baked potato calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc.
Do you have a favorite way to stuff a baked potato?
More Quick and Easy Ways to Turn a Potato into a Meal