I ran across this recipe for artichoke tomato salad as I was researching artichoke recipes for last Fridays’s 38 Power Foods Group post. I almost made this simple artichoke salad with tomatoes, olives and cheese, but decided on the easy whole wheat pizza with artichokes instead.
Still, I couldn’t stop thinking about it and decided it was the perfect way to use up the couple of quartered artichoke hearts I had left from making the pizza. And since everything else I needed was either in the fridge or pantry, it seemed the perfect quick and easy accompaniment to our grilled turkey burgers the other night.
I love quick and easy salads like this, especially during the long hot summer here in Phoenix when you want to keep your time at the stove to a minimum.
This quick and easy artichoke tomato salad is versatile too. You can give it more of a Greek flair by substituting chopped Kalamata olives for the sliced ripe olives and reduced fat feta cheese for the string cheese. Or turn it into a main dish salad perfect for a light lunch or dinner by adding in a little cooked shredded rotisserie chicken or chunks of cooked Italian style chicken sausage. I think canned rinsed and drained chick peas and/or tuna would be good additions too. (Just remember to adjust your PointsPlus values according.)
I have a feeling this simple tomato artichoke salad with just 2 Weight Watchers PointsPlus value will be making regular appearances at our house this summer.
- 5 large tomatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into wedges or chunks
- 1 jar (7-1/2 ounces) marinated quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 2 sticks of light mozzarella string cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces and shredded
- 1 can (2-1/4 ounces) sliced ripe olives, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place all the ingredients except salt and pepper in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Gently toss to combine everything. Enjoy immediately.
If you liked this post and recipe for artichoke tomato salad, check out these links: