for Light and Healthy Cornbread?
I love warm-from-the oven cornbread with a bowl of chili or soup.
I end up making it a few times during the cooler months.
The trouble with some cornbread recipes is that they’re full of sugar and fat and high in calories.
While I like my cornbread moist and tasty, I prefer light and healthy cornbread.
One option, which works well when you’re in a hurry or feeling a little lazy, is to use a package of cornbread mix and modify the ingredients that you add to make shortcut light and healthy cornbread.
You can use less oil than is called for, substitute applesauce for part of the oil, use skim milk or nonfat yogurt in place of the milk and egg whites instead of whole eggs.
I took this approach with a package of honey cornbread mix from Fresh & Easy to make the cornbread we enjoyed with our slow cooker black-eyed peas and vegetarian collard greens on New Years Day, creating a moist and tasty cornbread with a 4 PointsPlus value.
But the truth is that it isn’t really that much more work to make cornbread from scratch. Here’s a great recipe for a simple classic light and healthy cornbread from the Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook, a great basic cookbook for people who want to lose weight and eat healthier.
(I have a pretty big collection of Weight Watchers Cookbooks and they’re some of my favorites.)
- 1-1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- Position an oven rack in the center and heat your oven to 400 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat together the buttermilk and egg until they’re well blended.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the cornmeal mixture and stir just until everything is moistened. (Don’t overmix or your cornbread will be tough.)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake in the center of the oven until your cornbread is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into 12 pieces.
- Serve warm.
More Light and Healthy Cornbread Recipes with Weight Watchers PointsPlus Values
Easy Cranberry Cornbread - quick and easy with just 5 ingredients and 4 Points+ found at The Slender Kitchen.
Excellent & Healthy Cornbread - made with nonfat yogurt, each piece of this light and healthy cornbread has just 117 calories, 1.4 g fat and 3 Weight Watchers Points+ value. Found at AllRecipes.
Healthy Country Cornbread – light and healthy cornbread with 207 calories 8 g fat and 6 PointsPlus per serving. (These pieces are bigger than other recipes which explains why the points+ are a little higher.) Found at Taste of Home.
Green Chile and Cheese Cornbread – a flourless light and healthy cornbread with creamed corn. Each serving has 5 Points+. From Weight Watchers found at A Little Something Sweet.
Maple Syrup Cornbread - Here’s a good-old New England recipe for light and healthy cornbread flavored with a hint of maple syrup that bakes up moist and delicious. Each piece has 161 calories, 4 g fat and 4 WW PointsPlus value. From Taste of Home.
Moist Mexican Corn Bread – with finely chopped red bell pepper and shredded reduced fat Jack cheese with 5 Points + value.
Parmesan Cornbread Muffins – Parmesan topped light and healthy cornbread baked in muffin tins. Each muffin has 151 calories, 4.9 g fat and 4 WW PointsPlus value. From Cooking Light found at MyRecipes.
Salsa Cornbread – a moist vegetable studded light and healthy cornbread with just 138 calories, 4 g fat and 4 PointsPlus found at Eating Well.
Skinny Cornbread Casserole – decadent super rich, moist, creamy and loaded with flavor with only 5 WW Points+ found at Skinny Kitchen