“It’s choice – not chance – that determines your destiny.” ~Jean Nidetch
I’ve always loved the above quote from Weight Watchers founder, Jean Nidetch. There’s such power in it.
Granted, we don’t always choose what happens to us, but we do choose how we respond to what happens.
Confession: I’ve been practicing a new habit: beginning my day by asking myself: What do I choose today? Then working on answering definitively and powerfully (instead of tentatively/indecisively as I am so prone to do)…
Today I AM going to:
- begin my day with 5 deep breaths, reading an inspiring daily devotional, prayer and meditation.
- take two 20-30 minutes am and pm walks.
- spend at least 20 minutes on my yoga mat sometime today before I go to bed.
- drink a glass of water as soon as I get up and before each meal.
- prepare an easy healthy slow cooker meal to have for supper.
- do at least one Spanish lesson on duolingo.
- carve out at least 30 minutes to read for pleasure.
- get to bed by 9:30.
No ifs, maybes, or “if I feel like its. I’m finding the process both effective and empowering.
As one of my favorite teachers says, “If you utilize your power of choice every day, you can change the course of your entire life. You do not have to leave it up to chance or how you feel or which way the wind is blowing. You do not have to wait for the perfect time or better circumstances or for anyone’s approval or permission. You can start where you are, use what you have, and do what you can to propel yourself toward your dreams.
What will you choose this second? this hour? this day? Let’s seize the day, shall we?
PS: I received the following email from a reader who found this message “self-absorbed:”
Have you checked out my 28-day Smart Start Weight Loss eCourse and eBook? It’s designed to help you begin slowly creating the healthy habits that lead to lasting weight loss success!
“Hi Martha – I purchased your 28-Day Smart Start Challenge and I love it!!” I don’t know how to thank you.~Debra S.
“This has been a wonderful challenge. Thank you for all of the support and encouragement. I have definitely made some positive changes that I plan to continue!” – Bronwyn
“Your 28-day course was very helpful.” ~Lynn K
“Wonderful!!! Thank you!!! Your challenge has helped me recommit to WW program and I am beginning to see weight loss.” ~ Ellen M.
“Martha – I just love all of your advice. I am about a week into your 28-Day Smart Start Challenge Thank you for making a difference in my life!” ~ Kerry M.
You might also like:
- Best Weight Loss Success Stories
- Get Happy Lose Weight: The Mind-Body Connection That Matters
- 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers: The Best Tips for Winning at Weight Loss
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!