WW Recipe of the Day: Watergate Salad Made Lighter
How the name "Watergate salad" originated is open for debate. The basic recipe, calling for only two ingredients—Jello Instant Pistachio Pudding and Cool Whip, was first published by General Foods around the time of the Watergate scandal.
It's popular dish at potlucks and family gatherings and goes by many different names, including:
- Shut the Gate Salad
- Pistachio Delight
- Green Goop
- Green Goddess Salad
- Green Fluff
- Green Stuff
It also has many different variations, including:
- Other canned fruit (like mandarin oranges or fruit cocktail) in place of the pineapple
- Different nuts, including crushed pecans or walnuts
- Marshmallows instead the cottage cheese
- Some like to top it with maraschino cherries, for a little pop of color
This lightened version replaces the marshmallows with smooth cottage cheese, which adds a nice protein boost.
How Many Calories and WW Points in this Watergate Pistachio Salad?
According to my calculations, each serving has 100 calories and:
2 *SmartPoints (Green plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)
2 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)
3 *PointsPlus (Old plan)
How to Make Lightened Up Watergate Salad
Step 1: Gather and prepare all ingredients.
Step 2: In a large mixing bowl , add the drained pineapple with 2 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice.
Step 3: Add the pudding mix and stir until dissolved. Stir in the almond extract (if using) and set aside.
Step 4: In a small food processor , blend the cottage cheese until smooth and creamy.
Step 5: Stir the cottage cheese into the pudding mixture and blend. Gently fold in the whipped topping.
Step 6: Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.
Step 7: Before serving, top with sliced almonds.
Recipe Notes, Substitutions & Variations
This simple salad gets a nice boost of protein from the cottage cheese. If you must add marshmallows, try using half the normal amount (about 1 cup) to keep this salad light.
What to Serve with this Lightened Up Pistachio Salad Dessert?
Many enjoy this as a side salad when part of a buffet or potluck. It was sweet enough for me to enjoy as a cool and creamy enlightened dessert!
Ways to Use Leftovers
Enjoy any leftovers with your barbecue meal or as a little sweet treat in the evening.
If you've made this Guilt-Free Watergate Salad, please give the recipe a star rating below and leave a comment letting me know how you liked it. And stay in touch on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for the latest updates.
Watergate Salad Made Lighter
- 1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, packed in unsweetened juice, drained with juice reserved
- 1 package (4 serving-size) sugar-free instant pistachio pudding mix
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 1-½ cups light whipped topping
- 3 tablespoons sliced almonds
- In a large mixing bowl, add the drained pineapple with 2 tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice.
- Add the pudding mix and stir until dissolved. Stir in the almond extract (if using) and set aside.
- In a small food processor, blend the cottage cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Stir the cottage cheese into the pudding mixture until blended. Gently fold in the whipped topping.
- Cover bowl and chill in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, top with almond slices.
Recipe source: Eat What You Love Everyday by Marlene Koch
*PersonalPoints® calculated by WW. *PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT each plan's ZeroPoint Foods (Green plan, Blue plan, Purple plan) using the WW Recipe Builder.
More Lightened Up Jello Salads for Weight Watchers
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad
- Creamy 2-Ingredient Jello Yogurt Fluff
- Cranberry Jello Salad
- Greek Yogurt Orange Pudding
This post contains affiliate links to products I like. When you buy something through one of my Amazon links or other (affiliate links), I receive a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for your purchase!
Subscribe to Get: Top 10 Reader Favorite Recipes
The Top 10 Most Popular Recipes (PDF) on Simple Nourished Living + Weekly Support Emails with Tips & Easy Healthy Recipes Not Found Anywhere Else!