My Year of Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking Kickoff

Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking

Weight Watchers Friendly Crock Pot Cooking

Happy October 1!

This marks the official kickoff of a new project for me: A year of Weight Watchers friendly crock pot cooking!

Beginning today I’m going to attempt to use my crock pot everyday for a year and write about it here.

I realize that a year of crock pot cooking isn’t an original idea.

In fact, I’m a huge fan of Stephanie from A Year of Slow Cooking, who used her crockpot everyday for a year way back in 2008. Unfortunately, she also gained 8 pounds in the process.

I want to prove that it’s possible to take advantage of all the benefits of crock pot cooking without gaining weight! In fact, I believe that slow cooking can actually help with weight loss.

But I feel like we Weight Watchers could use more light crock pot recipes that are easy, healthy and delicious. And that include nutrition and/or Points Plus information so it’s easier to stay on track.

With every passing year, I love the ease and convenience of crock pot cooking more and more.

I still want to eat well. But I want to minimize my time in the kitchen too.

Crock Pot cooking fits perfectly with my desire to simplify my life. And get maximum reward for minimal effort.

When I use my slow cooker, I’m so much happier at meal time. And calmer.

Crock Pot Cooking is easier. Less messy. Less precise. And more forgiving.

So, I’m giving myself permission to give this year of crock pot cooking a try.

Why begin my year of crock pot cooking on October 1, instead of waiting until the New Year?

I love fall. In my mind October marks the beginning of crockpot season. There’s nothing that says a calendar year and a crock pot cooking year need to coincide is there?

I really want to learn how to use the Ninja 3-in-1 crock pot cooking system my mom bought me for Christmas last year. I’ve used it a few times as a slow cooker. But I haven’t fully explored how to use it to its full potential.

And if I’m going to be completely honest, I’m afraid that if I wait until January, I’ll talk myself out of it. Tell myself it’s a crazy idea. Lose my excitement. Convince myself I can’t do it. Come up with millions of reasons not to try.

So, I’ve decided to dive right in beginning today. I’ve dusted off my slow cookers and gathered my crock pot cookbooks.

I don’t have a great track record of seeing such undertakings through to their finish, so wish me luck :-)

Martha

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

I was just talking about this on a walk this morning with a friend. With kids’ activities, the convenience of a crockpot is great- I just don’t have many recipes that really fit in with how we eat. Most are very meat heavy, with lots of Lipton Onion soup mix, or Cream of _________ soup.

I’m excited to see what you will come up with!

• says

Thanks, Kristin.

I know what you mean. I have mixed feelings about cream of ______ soup and soup mixes too. But I am far from a recipe purist! I sometimes use the cans and packages. They work and are convenient! The recipe coming this afternoon, won’t be for you!! lol. But I am looking
      forward to seeing what I discover in the coming months.

2. tami says

Good luck and I am very interested to see how this works out. I love crockpot cooking too so I would really like to join you with lighter recipes :)

3. Elaine McCallum says

I love my slow cooker and fall is the perfect time to start. I will be following you as you go through the year and can’t wait to see what you come up with! You inspire me!

4. Rachel says

I really like Phyllis Perlman Good’s Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly. It was recommended by another Weight Watchers online member and has some healthy, low points options. It also has recipe adaptations for those who do not like using cream of ___ soups – she gives recipes for making your own low fat/low calorie versions. I look forward to seeing what you are making with your crockpot.

• says

Thanks, Rachel. I really like Fix-It and Forget-It Lightly too. Love that it has the nutritional details to make figuring out PointsPlus easy. So many crock pot cookbooks don’t :-( Thanks for pointing out the recipes for making your own cream soups. I’ve had the book for a while and never notice that!

5. Nancy Hank says

I love my crock pot.I have chili in mine right now!
    I am really excited to watch your blog and follow what you will be trying! Good Luck :)

• says

Thanks, Nancy! Chili sounds great. I’ve actually got a pot of Olive Garden Pasta Fagioli simmering. It smells so good. I can’t wait to taste it. I also tried baking in a crockpot for the first time today. I made a little apple loaf cake. It’s cooling on the counter. Enjoy your chili!!

6. Jessica says

I’ve been on WW for a year now and love the crockpot! I’m so glad I stumbled on this site. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

My favorite WW-friendly crockpot recipe is salsa chicken. One package chicken (breasts or tenders), 1 can black beans, 1 jar salsa. Throw it all in and let it cook all day. It works out to be 7 pts for 1/4. I have it either by itself, or over brown rice, or on a tortilla depending on how many pts I have left. And you can vary the flavor by trying different salsas.

I have a few others I consistently make, but they’re all between 10-14 pts per serving.

• says

Thanks, Jessica.

Yes, salsa chicken is a good one. It works with the Simply Filling Technique too :-) Would love to hear about your others too, even if they are a little higher in Points!

7. says

As someone who works in the corporate world, October 1 makes perfect sense to me as it’s the beginning of the new fiscal year. We’ve been wishing each other Happy New Year around the office all day today. LOL As a member of Weight Watchers and a slow cooker fan, I look forward to following your journey!

8. Jenni says

I’m so excited for this!! I joined WW in summer and have done well but am worried about the fall and winter with heavier foods (and treats!) to keep up my weight loss goals!

• says

Hi Jenni, The great thing is that fall and winter is perfect for making healthy yet hearty recipes in the crockpot! I’m sure you will be successful with your weight loss goals. The key is to just stick with it!!

9. Barbara says

I love the idea of crockpot cooking. But the recipes I have found mostly are very heavy, calorie laden, or use much processed food. I wish you success and perseverance. Also, recipes say “cook on high for 3-5 hr. or on low 5-7 hrs.” I find it very off putting and confusing to determine what time I should start cooking so it is ready at X time.

10. says

I am very excited about crock pot cooking, and too I am a newbie Weight Watcher. I do not have a web site, so how would I download? I sure hope this doesn’t count me out.
    Thank you.

11. says

As an avid ww member, I’m always looking for websites that have recipes that list ww points plus values. What a treasure your site is. I’ve made several crockpot soups that are wonderful.

I am so exciting about your site, I’ve emailed my ww leader to share with all our members.

Thank you for sharing all these wonderful recipes!

12. Sharon Haynes says

I am very excited about this. As a lifetime WW member, I am always looking for simple, one dish meals that are healthy & tasty……& my crockpot is decades old, so could definitely use an upgrade :)

13. Nancy Wingo says

I love your recipes! My latest favorite is your split pea soup with ham. Just made it yesterday and it is so filling, even with moderate bits of ham added for extra flavor. I love that you offer nutritional information, points, and calories!! Thanks for sharing your great ideas and I’ll keep cooking them!

14. Laurie Barr says

You may have just saved my sanity!!! I am Mom to a busy 14 year old and 11 year old and have a husband that Coaches sports every season! I love using my crockpot. As a matter of fact it’s the only way I cook during the school year. But finding recipes that are Weight Watchers friendly has been so challenging! I’m excited to try all your recipes! Thank you so much!

15. jeni25 says

Found a treasure trove of old, old, old weight watchers recipes. Who knew so many were looking for recipes from the 70′s and 80′s?

or this one is this one from Google (which I think is the same as above.)

People there are seeking so of their old favorites from yesteryear.
    Somebody gave me two recipes I had been trying to find and so I’ll share.

CHEDDAR MUFFINS
    1 slice enriched bread made into crumbs
    1 ounce grated cheddar cheese
    1 medium egg, lightly beaten
    1/3 cup non-fat dry milk
    2 teaspoons melted margarine
    Artificial sweetener to equal 4 teaspoons sugar
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon dehydrated onion flakes

Preheat oven to 375. In medium bowl combine all ingredients and beat until thoroughly blended. Pour into small loaf pan or 2 muffin tins coated with release agent. Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until browned and firm to the touch. Makes one serving for the midday meal. Supplement as required. Equals:
    1 serving bread
    1 oz hard cheese
    1 egg
    1 serving milk
    2 servings fat
    Hot Stuff publication, Volume 13, page 7
    Hot Stuff publications were pamphlets given at Weight Watcher meetings in the olden days! :)
    ————-

RAISIN COFFEE DANISH
    2/3 cup non-fat dry milk
    2 slices enriched bread, crumbed in blender
    1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    artificial sweetener to equal 2 tablespoons sugar
    8 tablespoons water
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 teaspoon imitation butter extract
    2 medium apples, cored, peeled and grated
    4 ounces bran flakes with raisins

In a large bowl combine first 4 ingredients. In a cup combine next 3 ingredients. Combine both mixtures and add aples and cereal last. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Makes 4 servings for the morning meal. Divide evenly. Supplement as required. Each equals: 1/2 serving milk, 1/2 serving bread, 1/2 serving fruit, 1 serving cereal

Hot Stuff Publication, Volume 11, Page 6