Lentil and chopped salad greens and parsley, tossed with a mustardy vinaigrette and served with simply prepared salmon. Who knew something so simple could be so satisfying?
Yesterday, I was looking for a way to make dinner from what was available. I had a couple of salmon fillets in the freezer and needed an idea for what to serve with them. Turning to the index of what continues to be my favorite cookbook for easy healthy recipes, 5 Easy Steps to Healthy Cooking: 500 Recipes for Lifelong Wellness, I came upon a recipe for “Seared Salmon with Warm Lentil and Arugula Salad.”
Checking the ingredient list, I confirmed that I had most everything I needed except arugula and red onion, but decided I could substitute mixed salad greens and shallot. I also had a package of Trader Joe’a already prepared lentils in the fridge, so I used them instead of cooking my own.
And while the recipe called for searing the salmon, I opted to bake/roast mine instead.
We both thought this salmon with warm lentil and mixed greens salad made for a flavorful satisfying supper. It’s definitely going in my “make again” file.
- 2 cups cooked lentils*
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper, divided
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon liquid honey
- 4 skinless wild salmon fillets (5 ounces each)
- 3 cups mixed salad greens, roughly chopped
- ½ cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- ⅓ cup finely chopped shallot
- Place slightly warm cooked lentils in a medium bowl. add ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper, 2 teaspoons olive oil, vinegar, mustard honey and stir to combine.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle both sides of the fish with the remaining salt and pepper. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium high heat. Add the fish and cook, turning once, for 3 to 4 minutes per side (or until the fish is opaque and flakes easily when tested with a fork).
- Remove from the heat and finish preparing the salad. To the lentil mixture, add the mixed green, parsley and shallot and toss gently to combine. Serve with the salmon.
I used Trader Joe’s cooked lentils. To cook them yourself. In a medium saucepan, bring 4 cups water to a boil over high heat. Add the lentils, reduce heat to a simmer until tender but not mushy, about 30 minutes. Drain and place in a medium size bowl.
More Weight Watchers Friendly Recipes You Might Enjoy