Did you know that 95 out of 100 people who start a diet either give up in frustration or lose weight and then gain it back?
That’s because diets based on deprivation go against our natural instincts.
The key to avoiding frustration and achieving lasting weight loss is to take it slow and steady. There are lots and lots of things you can do that will help you lose weight, feel great and get more out of life.
Taken all together they can be overwhelming. But adopted one at a time they are totally doable.
The key to lasting weight loss is to make small changes in a gradual way that become part of a healthy lifestyle that feels natural and effortless. Losing weight and building health are a lot like saving money. The slow steady approach can reap huge rewards overtime easily and effortlessly.
It’s also important to include your whole self – body, mind and soul – in the weight loss journey.
To be successful it’s important for you to find ways to feel good now. Your body will lose weight more easily when you are feeling happy and healthy.
The secret is to begin today and then gradually and steadily add in new ways of living and being that eventually become part of a healthy pleasurable lifestyle that helps you to feel your best and allow you to get more out of life.
Roberta hit rock bottom at 48 years old. She weighed 171 lbs. at 5'1". She suffered from back pain, thyroid problems and adrenal issues. Yet as you can see it’s all behind her now. And she feels and looks like a woman half her age!... Following Eat Stop Eat gave Roberta the freedom she needed. It allowed her body to naturally find its own weight loss rhythm. And the results are stunning!
50 Savvy Weight Loss Tips
- Savor your food and your life.
- Focus on increasing the quality of everything you eat.
- Eat regularly. Don’t skip meals.
- Eat 10 to 20 percent less than you think you might want.
- With fruits and vegetables eat 10 to 20 percent more.
- Switch to smaller plates and bowls.
- Drink from tall slender glasses.
- Eat a wholesome breakfast.
- Fill at least half your plate with salad and/or vegetables.
- Make pleasure a priority.
- Write down why you want to lose weight and get healthy. Refer to it often.
- Learn to love yourself.
- Minimize the soda you drink.
- Eat a wide variety of different colored fruits and vegetables.
- Include some protein with each meal and snack.
- Be Prepared. Keep your pantry and fridge stocked with healthy foods.
- Beware of the “health halo” of certain foods like “low fat” granola, “protein bars” “juice smoothies,” “healthy fast food salads” that can lead to overeating.
- Avoid foods that have some form of sugar (or sweetener) listed among the top three ingredients.
- Set your fork or spoon down between bites.
- Take several deep breaths before beginning to eat.
- Avoid food products that contain more than 5 ingredients
- Include fermented foods in your diet (yogurt, sourdough bread, sauerkraut)
- Eat moderate amounts of high quality fats – extra virgin olive oil, sesame oil, coconut oil and organic butter.Your body needs them.
- Cultivate a positive attitude.
- Ask for support.
- Learn to say no.
- Avoid white sugar and white flour.
- Banish foods with hydrogenated fats or high fructose corn syrup from your diet.
- Take hot baths.
- Find a weight loss partner.
- Embrace the Mediterranean diet and way of life.
- When at home, eat only while sitting at the dinner table.
- Eat slowly. Pace yourself without the slowest eater at the table.
- Start pairing healthier foods with positive events.
- Spend time with friends who energize and inspire you.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Get a massage.
- Strengthen your core.
- Learn to eat without guilt.
- Show appreciation for all the good things in your life.
- Leave serving dishes, except salad and veggies, in the kitchen or away from the table
- Make tempting foods as inconvenient as possible. Keep them in an out of sight hard to reach place.
- Look for painless ways to eliminate 100- 200 calories a day.
- Wrap tempting leftovers in aluminum foil instead of see-through plastic.
- Decide how much to eat before the meal rather than during.
- Try to be the last one to begin eating.
- Always leave a little food on your plate.
- Create a support network.
- Enjoy soups often.
*PointsPlus® and SmartPoints® calculated by Simple Nourished Living; Not endorsed by Weight Watchers International, Inc. All recipe ingredients except optional items included in determining nutritional estimates. SmartPoints® values calculated WITHOUT Weight Watchers Zero Points fruits and vegetables using the WW Recipe Builder.
50 More Weight Loss Tips
- Rest, Relax, and get enough sleep.
- Be willing to invest in yourself.
- Have fruit for dessert.
- Be willing to please yourself first.
- Visualize yourself as you are wanting to be.
- Pre-plate your food. Put everything you want to eat in a dish before you begin to eat.
- Don’t eat directly from a box or package; put the food in a dish.
- Repackage foods into smaller containers.
- Limit the time you spend at work.
- Ditch friends that drain you.
- Quit the gym if you hate it. Find enjoyable ways to exercise.
- Find ways to feel slim now.
- Find an exercise partner. (Dogs are great!)
- Eat less at your evening meal.
- Increase your omega-3s.
- Eat more fish.
- Devote time to reconnecting with family and friends.
- Get happy and then eat. Do not try to eat your way to happiness.
- Pursue a creative outlet.
- Write a list of things that make you happy and include them in your life.
- Laugh. See the humor in things.
- Throw away your “diet books” if they feel like deprivation.
- Experiment with eating less meat.
- Experiment with eating more nuts, seeds and legumes.
- Pamper yourself.
- Learn to read and understand the ingredient list on food labels.
- Grow fresh herbs. Add them to your food.
- Take time to breathe deeply.
- Set a pretty table.
- Light a candle or two before dinner.
- Take in an afternoon nap.
- Experiment with eating less dairy.
- Figure out how to nourish yourself without food.
- Walk in nature.
- Keep a journal.
- Try aromatherapy, especially vanilla, cinnamon, and peppermint.
- Get rid of any clothes that don’t make you feel beautiful.
- Spend time with yourself.
- Sit and be still.
- Learn to cook something new.
- Cook for friends.
- Create things to look forward to.
- Try new forms of movement and exercise.
- Take a 5 minute break to sit and breathe deeply.
- Try traditional ethnic foods.
- Don’t deprive or starve yourself.
- Eat smaller amounts of your comfort foods.
- Eat whole grains.
- Practice yoga.
50 More Ways to Lose Weight and Feel Great
- Learn how to set and keep healthy boundaries.
- Switch from table salt to high quality sea salt.
- Take as much vacation as you can.
- Eat and live in accordance with your body’s natural rhythms.
- Acknowledge your strengths.
- Always choose quality over quantity.
- Clear away your clutter in the kitchen and beyond.
- Dress in a way that feels good.
- Find enjoyable ways to move your body.
- Slow down and enjoy life.
- Eat for pleasure.
- Express gratitude for all your blessings.
- Find ways to feel better about yourself and your life.
- Learn to trust your body’s inherent wisdom.
- Think about all the good things you can eat.
- Order the “small” size.
- Decrease your portions a bit at a time.
- Eat more vegetables and fruit.
- Don’t be fooled by “fat-free” and “sugar-free” foods. Eat the real thing in moderation instead.
- Enjoy small amounts of rich dark chocolate.
- Eat with all your senses.
- Limit your snacking.
- Don’t let yourself get too hungry.
- Don’t eat standing up or on the run.
- Don’t eat while driving, watching television, reading, or working at your computer.
- Eat what is in season.
- Experiment with different herbs, spices, fruit juices, and vinegars to add interesting flavor to your foods.
- Drink more water.
- Cook more.
- Strive to always look & fee your best.
- Avoid diets and food fads.
- Learn to ask for what you want.
- Do a gentle cleanse once or twice a year.
- Walk more.
- Drink freshly squeezed fruit and vegetable juices.
- Set a nice table.
- Make your food look pretty.
- Plan your meals in advance.
- When you eat a little too much one day, eat a little less the next.
- Eat a wide variety of foods.
- Eat more leafy green vegetables.
- Avoid artificial flavors, colors and sweeteners.
- Limit the amount of caffeine you drink.
- Eat organic when you can.
- Experiment with sea vegetables.
- Say what you mean and mean what you say.
- If you have a craving when you aren’t hungry, say (out loud) “I am not hungry but I’m going to eat this anyway.”
- Chew gum while preparing dinner.
- Visit ethnic restaurants.
- Brown bag it at least a few times a week.
Once one or two of these become a natural habit, incorporate another healthy weight loss tip. When it is part of your life, take another, then another. In a few short years you will be amazed at how far you have come.
Do you have easy weight loss and healthy eating strategies that are a natural part of your life? I hope you take the time to share them with us!
More About Weight Loss…
- An Essential Ingredient for Weight Loss Success
- Make One Small Change to Your Diet
- Relax and Lose Weight
Get Your FREE Guide: 7 Secrets of Successful Weight Watchers
The best tips for weight loss success! You'll also get regular updates from Martha with easy healthy Weight Watchers friendly recipes, support & tips to help you lose weight your way.